Temp gauge drops when 35f or colder outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardboard. My Hyundai Accent when the temps are in the single digits (f) will drop when idling, or if using the heater fan at anything more than the lowest speed. But on the highway it runs ~180f when fully warm, this may take quite a while though when using the heater fan at more than the lowest setting. That is the t-stat minimum rating. But the cardboard keeps the temps up and can be left in place up until the ambient is in the 50fs.

If you buy a thermostat go OE. On my previous 99' Altima I initially replaced a bad thermostat with an orileys brand and it [censored] out after 5 months. Got an OE and never touched it again.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I can't remember the last time I changed a t-stat in the last 25 years.

Me either. I used to change them out pretty frequently with my 70's and 80's cars, but I havent changed one out in at least 15 years now. Put 250K miles on my last Honda and never touched it.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
It scared the sht outta me i was like what the [censored] is going on. I was told if i wanna keep the gauge in the middle in these super cold days put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator but is it really necessary to do that? I just feel like the gauge going down to 165-160f is bad..

Don't put cardboard in front of the radiator, you can seriously overheat the engine and do some damage.
What you describe can be normal depending on where the coolant temp sensor is located. when the thermostat opens it allows cold coolant from the radiator to flow in the engine, the colder ambient temps are the colder the coolant in the radiator.
If the sensor is in that stream the gauge will show a drop, it may not reflect the temperature of the whole system, if you have decent heat and the gauge is steady when its warmer don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I can't remember the last time I changed a t-stat in the last 25 years.

Me either. I used to change them out pretty frequently with my 70's and 80's cars, but I havent changed one out in at least 15 years now. Put 250K miles on my last Honda and never touched it.

Only reason I realized I had a bum t-stat in my Jetta was because I put in a Scanguage and noticed that the engine was sitting at 160F. the dashboard read normal temp, due to stupid filtering.

The car didn't seem to care (it was a diesel), although the heat did seem to work a bit better afterwards. 2004 Jetta, replaced around the 9 year/280k mark, give or take.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It scared the sht outta me i was like what the [censored] is going on. I was told if i wanna keep the gauge in the middle in these super cold days put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator but is it really necessary to do that? I just feel like the gauge going down to 165-160f is bad..

Don't put cardboard in front of the radiator, you can seriously overheat the engine and do some damage.
What you describe can be normal depending on where the coolant temp sensor is located. when the thermostat opens it allows cold coolant from the radiator to flow in the engine, the colder ambient temps are the colder the coolant in the radiator.
If the sensor is in that stream the gauge will show a drop, it may not reflect the temperature of the whole system, if you have decent heat and the gauge is steady when its warmer don't worry about it.
LOL, yes I take the cardboard out before summer.

What you really need is an accurate water temp gauge. Most OEM ones are no more than idiot light that got a promotion., Using an OBDII data reader like the Ultra-Gauge will show you what the temp is. Most modern cars have the temp sender where the water is hottest.

Some use 2 sensors, one for the gauge And one for the ECM. In that case the one for the ECM is generally the more accurate one.
For this reason the one for the gauge may not be in the most ideal location. It differs engine to engine.
You are correct use a scan tool on it to get a more accurate reading. The scan tool is an effective tool for checking electric fan or electric fan clutch on/off temp accuracy.

Reminds me that we bought a '72 Vega that winter and that my first experience with an aluminum block and shedding heat. When it was subzero and idling with the heater doing it's best, the engine didn't produce enough heat to even open the t-stat.

Originally Posted By: zeng
A 180F thermostat would help raise operating temperature I suppose.

OK but not much doubt it already has a 190-195*... As does almost every car since the '70s...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I was told this=

It's the cold weather, and its normal. Both my NA and Supercharged engines have dips down to 180 and 170, respecively, when the outside temp goes down to 40. The cold air in the intake cools down the intake manifold (where the temp sensor is) and the cylinder walls. Also air passing thru the engine bay while driving cools the engine even though the coolant thermostat is closed. Heating up the cabin interior also reduces the engine temp. You can place one or more sections of cardboard in front of part of the drivers side of the radiator to help raise the engine temp. Cover 50% to 90%, depending on outside temp and how the engine temp responds. You can also turn the Cabin air on recirculation mode to cut the amount of outside air that has to be heated up.

Pretty much, It is just how the 3800 acts. You have a good one drive it with no worries.

So if that's what happens when the outside temp is 35F, then what happens when the outside temp is 10F or 0F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back