Hyundai / Kia coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. My SIG vehicles all specify ethylene glycol coolant. The Santa Fe is coming on 90K miles so this spring I am planning a coolant change. Is the consensus to use factory fluid? If not, what would you use? Also, would you change thermostat? They are pretty inexpensive ($15-$20) for this vehicle. Opinions? Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've yet to have a hyundai in with a failed thermostat, been working on them for 3 years now.

So if you change the therostat, I'd get OE or risk putting in an inferior product.

G48 is specced for them.

I use Peak Global Lifetime concentrate from NAPA for $14-15/gal in my 2004 Honda S2000. I changed the coolant for the first time 8-10 months ago at 5x,xxx milesa fter 11.5 years with factory filled. The recommendation is 120k miles or 10 years whichever is first, then 60k miles or 6 years after the first change.

I didn't change thermostat in my cars until it failed. The Lexus LS400 had the thermostat the first time at around 350k miles, the MB E430 was around 140k miles. The S2000 has original thermostat.

If the thermostat is easy to change, do it with OEM only. Sure I've seen only a handful fail in my 20 years working at dealers, but it's not worth major engine damage to save $25 in parts & 1 hours time when the coolants already drained out

No, don't use the dealer's coolant. It's just ethylene glycol.

Also it's way too soon for a thermostat. Do it next time.

The Owners Manual for my 2008 Elantra is pretty vague on what kind of coolant Hyundai uses.
I flushed it and put in conventional green (Peak brand) and then changed it again 2 years later with the same stuff.

I plan on using conventional (changed every 2 years) as long as I can get it.

So far, so good.....no problems....

Thanks guys. OK, plan is to leave thermostat alone. I will go with the Peak Global, seems readily available in my area. I see a Peak Long Life also. Color is yellow? What's the difference between that and the global? Global was a couple of bucks more money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Thanks guys. OK, plan is to leave thermostat alone. I will go with the Peak Global, seems readily available in my area. I see a Peak Long Life also. Color is yellow? What's the difference between that and the global? Global was a couple of bucks more money.

Peak LL contains 2-EHA...Peak Global does not.

2-EHA is a 'plastizer' (softens plastics) and was thought to be responsible for eating through gaskets. Gasket technology has improved in recent years so this is most likely no longer an issue.

I'd use the Peak Global if you can get the 'Full Strength'....flush it good before installing....

I've ran Peak Global in several cars without any issues. I have it in my 2008 Corolla right now.....it's a good product but hard to find in 'full strength'....

I always go with factory Hyundai/Kia coolant in my autos. A gallon of full strength still runs under $20. The only period I didn't was at 60K to 75K miles for my Accent when I had a shop flush and fill with Zerex. I've since gone back to the original.

LOL, my '05 Accent just had its thermostat recently fail, but this was also 10 years/100K miles on the factory thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back