Scan tool: which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ymc226

Unfortunately, I only have Apple computers and phones. IOS and Mac OS X only.

Dumb question: maybe find a friend who is going to toss out an Android smartphone, and take that, just for using with Torque? Smartphone or tablet.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

What was the incompatibility? According to the link for the app I posted it will work with the BT readers with iOS. I've got an ELM327 clone unit and may just test it this weekend with my iPhone. Technically there is nothing preventing this from working as developers are free to create a BT driver for iOS now.

Apple still blocks certain bluetooth protocols unless you jailbreak your phone and all the hassle that entails. If you buy the right (pricier) bluetooth unit or a wifi enabled adapter, it can work. But not with many of them and especially the cheaper ones.

I have TorqueLite on a discarded old Android smart phone (worth almost nothing), so the total cost to have a really useful set of tools for an amateur mechanic was about $5 for the clone ELM327. It saved me a ton of time just the other day when a coil unit failed and I could just flip it on to see which cylinder it was instead of testing or going to borrow a proper reader (or finally buying one like I planned).

Gotta love those ELM327 adapters. Awesome.

There are WIFI ODB2 devices for Apple (and Android) use. UltraGauge is much cheaper than Scangauge, if you want something dedicated. $70 vs $170.

Once I have the extra money to spend on, I want to get a double DIN, in-dash Android head unit, which will be able to use a ODB2 bluetooth adapter. The head unit will also serve as built in GPS navigation, mp3 playback, etc.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Since I'm starting to work on my 911, I went on the Porsche forums and saw the Durametric was something I could reset the service light as I've read dealer would charge half an hour labor to reset the light. I guess they have a problem with someone doing their own oil change.

I just looked at the receipt of my last dealer oil and filter change $357. Did it myself for $50 for the oil and $20 for the filter. Both OEM. Just changed my plugs myself too for $66. I've read the dealer wants $800.

Eventually, I'll need another scan tool for the Suburban and LR as they are getting older and will be needing work.

Durametric diagnostic tool for Porsche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back