0w-XX oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that cars that specify a 5w-20 oil often get a 0w-20 oil, usually specified by an owner or mechanic that considers themselves knowledgeable about engine oil. This could even require a switch from conventional oil to synthetic to make the change.

However I don't hear the same kind of change advocated for switching from 5w-30 or 10w-30 to a 0w-30 oil that might also require changing from convention to synthetic oil.

And then there's 40 weight oil and again I hear people changing from a 5w-40, 10w-40 or 15w-40 to a 0w-40 along with statements that this is the oil more people in the US would be using if it were not for government regulations.

I use 0w-30 oil in both my daily driver and my wife's daily driver listed below but I don't know anyone else that is using this grade of engine oil.

It appears that many of my friends that even know what engine oil is are using 0w-20, 5w-30 or 0w-40 engine oil. If fact, it appears that 0w-40 oil is becoming very popular around here and sometimes used in new cars that specify a Xw-20 oil.

Im spec'd 0w20 In OM.
Between the Intake, Exhaust, tuning and chip, I was recommended 0w40 by dodge preferably euro specd

Honda recommends 0w-20 for my '13 CR-V. I've used 0w-20,5w-20,0w-30 and 5w-30. I even mixed a couple qts of 10w-30 in with some 5w-20 last summer because I wanted to get rid of the 10w-30.

This morning I'll be using M1 0w-30 for an oil change.

IMO, viscosity (within reason) really doesn't matter.

I will probably try 0w-30 in the focus if I can get my hands on some cheap. It will be in for 10K miles, though.

The Jeep specs 10w-30, 5w-30 and I would consider a 0w-30 but the engine is closing in on the expiration date rapidly and I don't want to put $35 of oil in it and have it finally completely break off the chattery piston skirt.

It's funny how people in southern US climates are using a 0W-xx weight, when they don't even have temperatures that low that would really benefit from it. I know newer Toyota's and Honda's have 0W-20 specd.

Up here in Canada, you usually have to pay a premium to get 0W-xx oils. We don't have Walmart everyday pricing of $25 for a 5 quart jug of any weight.

The only 0 weight oil I see at a reasonable price in Canada is the Motomaster full synthetic jugs of 0W-20 that go on Sale periodically.

I think the primary reason that 0W-30 oils aren't discussed as much is because the 30 grade in general isn't as popular in new vehicles as it once was, and the selection of 0W-30 oil on the market is fairly limited compared with 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: JC1
It's funny how people in southern US climates are using a 0W-xx weight, when they don't even have temperatures that low that would really benefit from it.

I disagree with this statement. Even at 30*C/86*F (a hot "cold" start), the difference between Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 5W-20 is non-trivial...about 67 cSt vs. 76 cSt when using Widman's calculator. And at 0*C/32*F, 5W-20 is a remarkable 400+ cSt, whereas the 0W-20 has thickened to around 300 cSt. I'd much rather my battery and starter have to crank over oil that's only 30x heavier than it should be, instead of oil that's 40x heavier than it should be.

In the United States, 0W-xx oils don't come at a price premium (within the synthetic product line). It's been my recommendation, regardless of your climate, to use a 0W-xx oil if you're already paying for synthetic oil anyway. You really have nothing to lose, and only stand to gain easier starting, even at "hot" cold start temperatures. On the other hand, if you're otherwise using 5W-20 conventional, then you have to weigh the benefits of 0W-20 with the additional cost of the more expensive synthetic vs. conventional.

It's funny how people in southern US climates are using a 0W-xx weight, when they don't even have temperatures that low that would really benefit from it. I know newer Toyota's and Honda's have 0W-20 specd.

Up here in Canada, you usually have to pay a premium to get 0W-xx oils. We don't have Walmart everyday pricing of $25 for a 5 quart jug of any weight.

The only 0 weight oil I see at a reasonable price in Canada is the Motomaster full synthetic jugs of 0W-20 that go on Sale periodically.

When its $10 a jug at AutoZone for M1 AFE 0W30, you can be sure it benefits us.

No need for 0W in So. Cal. ... Unless its a dang good oil not compromised with VM's.

KV # may 25% thicker at startup (with a 5W vs 0W) but in-situ it doesn't translate to 10x more drag during warm up with huge clearances - where an oil with some traction might provide LESS noise and wear. Most (primarily hydrotreated group III) "synthetics" Ive run seem horrendous during warmup.

Starting to come to the realization that these USA promoted "faux syns" are worse than dino, Ill tell ya!

Last edited:
Canadians do get the cold weather and the outrageous oil prices...but then again I've seen posts from Canadians who evidently think that California is just Hasselhoff and Baywatch in terms of weather. My relatives in the High Sierra will see 0 degrees Fahrenheit and sometimes below several times during the winter. My folks lived in Arkansas...and if you're talking about the Ozarks, it might mean cold and snow. Depending on the vehicle, there are places in the U.S. where 0w-xx is a legitimate choice even if the rest of the state wouldn't necessarily need or want it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No need for 0W in So. Cal. ... Unless its a dang good oil not compromised with VM's.

KV # may 25% thicker at startup (with a 5W vs 0W) but in-situ it doesn't translate to 10x more drag during warm up with huge clearances - where an oil with some traction might provide LESS noise and wear. Most (primarily hydrotreated group III) "synthetics" Ive run seem horrendous during warmup.

Starting to come to the realization that these USA promoted "faux syns" are worse than dino, Ill tell ya!

Thanks for warning everyone!

0w-30 is not a very common grade for new vehicles.

I think Volvo is the only one that is requiring it, and even then it's only on their newest vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Canadians do get the cold weather and the outrageous oil prices...but then again I've seen posts from Canadians who evidently think that California is just Hasselhoff and Baywatch in terms of weather.

It isn't?? OMG!!!!!

Just kidding.

Last edited:
GM has historically allowed 0w-30 in certain climates. Of course, M1 advocates 0w-30 AFE in 5w-30 and 10w-30 applications, as does Petro-Canada. Then, of course, we have had people using 0w-30 where GC would fit the specs.

I think for some years GM specs 0w30 synthetic for -20'F weather and "see your dealer if you think a block heater is a good idea."

I'm running AFE 0w30 in my wife's HHR as insurance against timing chain drama, even though it's "past the troubled years" as a 2007.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think the primary reason that 0W-30 oils aren't discussed as much is because the 30 grade in general isn't as popular in new vehicles as it once was, and the selection of 0W-30 oil on the market is fairly limited compared with 0W-20.

It's funny how people in southern US climates are using a 0W-xx weight, when they don't even have temperatures that low that would really benefit from it.

I disagree with this statement. Even at 30*C/86*F (a hot "cold" start), the difference between Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 5W-20 is non-trivial...about 67 cSt vs. 76 cSt when using Widman's calculator. And at 0*C/32*F, 5W-20 is a remarkable 400+ cSt, whereas the 0W-20 has thickened to around 300 cSt. I'd much rather my battery and starter have to crank over oil that's only 30x heavier than it should be, instead of oil that's 40x heavier than it should be.

In the United States, 0W-xx oils don't come at a price premium (within the synthetic product line). It's been my recommendation, regardless of your climate, to use a 0W-xx oil if you're already paying for synthetic oil anyway. You really have nothing to lose, and only stand to gain easier starting, even at "hot" cold start temperatures. On the other hand, if you're otherwise using 5W-20 conventional, then you have to weigh the benefits of 0W-20 with the additional cost of the more expensive synthetic vs. conventional.

I kind of doubt though that the difference between 400 and 300 cSt is significant when all cars sold here have to be able to handle starts with oil in the range of 5,000-10,000 cSt in -30C -35C starts.
I found with 5W20 conventional the Focus would still start pretty easily in -30C last winter, but 5W30 would make our previous cars work pretty hard for starts in -25 to -30C. For me and my cars, I think conventional 5W20 is good enough for our cold weather. If I was starting often in -30C or less I would go to a 0W20, but for the odd -30 start 5W20 seemed to be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If a 5w-30 is better overall than a 30HD then is a 0w-30 better than a 5w-30?

Lol.

The only thing better than "better" is when it is "best".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back