Clicking noise from crankshaft box--normal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a valve tick to me. Did it start suddenly? Not sure which Hundai you have but do you know if it has hydraulic lifters? If so, you may have a collapsed lifter, just a guess. Might make sense if you haven't kept up with oil changes.

From the tone of your statements on YouTube you might consider dumping the car and getting another one and just repeat the process. If you're not going to change the oil and do some regular maintenance you might be repeating this process on a regular basis.

I agree with scout1 that it sounds like a valve tick may well be the cause. Question I have is how does it run under load?? Does the car have good power/ compression?? If it runs well under load then it obviously has good compression. Which would mean that it's not likely a terminal problem. Could just be as simple as changing the oil and having some valve work done. If the oil is too thin by being shared WAY out of grade that could make that noise even worse. Change your oil to at least a 5w30 if not 5w40 and see if that helps the noise. Then take it somewhere to get the valves looked at.

If it has poor power/compression than your problem is FAR enough up the problem list it may well not be worth repairing.

I think you have a valve lifter problem as others have stated. I would do the following Change the oil using a good cleaning oil like Pennzoil in the yellow bottle and drive the car on the highway at a fairly high speed. If that doesn't help then do an engine flush and follow the instruction carefully. Ed

It looks to be a 2.0 Beta Hyundai engine, so it's going to have cam over bucket style "lifters" that are mechanical, not hydraulic.

Is the noise better or worse when the engine is cold? Does it increase in volume with engine RPM? Load?

It could very well be a valve. But it could also be an exhaust leak. Or.....A ticking fuel injector.

By your question if it is a piston failure or rod, I am going to assume you know little about the internal working of engines.
By all means, change the oil. But if that does not change the sound, take it to someone with a stethoscope and some knowledge. It is not necessarily an expensive problem. But it will take someone with a tuned ear, to suss it out.

Stop playing the silly guessing game.

Go get a mechanics stethoscope. They're $5 at Harbor Freight.

Isolate where the noise is coming from. Report back with what you've discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back