YouTube thinks I have a slow connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's loading my videos at 144p, but my connection speed is 7.60 Mbps DOWN and 1.46 Mbps UP.

It just started doing this tonight. Usually it always loads the video quickly at 720p.

Maybe if you use thinner oil it would flow faster
smile.gif

Sorry couldnt resist!!

What happens when you manually change it back to 720p?

While that's not "slow" it's defiantly not fast. There is a a good bit of providers who offer internet speeds (to the public) that are well over 100 times faster.

Typically when stuff loads slow it's due to maintenance on the provider's end. Anything between 2-5 down is good enough for 1080. Might struggle alitte with 2k and up frame buffer tho.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What happens when you manually change it back to 720p?

If I manually change it to 720p it'll start re-buffering like if I had a slow connection, but I just ran a speed test and I'm good. How's it on your end ?

It sometimes does that to me too, same with Facebook. Tells me I have a slow connection but I have 100 Mbps Internet.

Sometimes it loads up at super low speeds..once i reset to 1080p , it takes maybe a few seconds and gets back to 1080. Im on a cable connection of 30 down and 10 up. Seems that everything is now made for everyone to require faster internet. 30/10 was fast when i got it a year ago...but even now..it seems slower..despite good speed results.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have 100 Mbps Internet.

Holy smokes!
shocked2.gif

I have "up to" 300 Mbps with my phone telling me that my current connection is 144 although I regularly have 200+.

I think this is where you guys need to read up on net neutrality. Because 100mbps to some server using speedtest doesn't mean you get 100mbps to every single server (even if the other side is fast).

Your ISP may be throttling the speeds to Youtube specifically, so although you have fast connections to other sites, you have a slow connection specifically to youtube.

Google put up a page to explain
https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

I pay more through ComCast for higher speeds.

Just did a test-

95 down
12.36 up

It's loading my videos at 144p, but my connection speed is 7.60 Mbps DOWN and 1.46 Mbps UP.

It just started doing this tonight. Usually it always loads the video quickly at 720p.
Probably something temporary.

Originally Posted By: hatt

Probably something temporary.

Umm, throttling streaming??? path to streaming servers?
while the ports on which you get the speed test are not...

remake/clean your connections from the point they go in the house to make sure you don't have a high impedance /capacitive or diodic connection. Many shared serves with high traffic wont download at your test rate.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have 100 Mbps Internet.

Holy smokes!
shocked2.gif

I have "up to" 300 Mbps with my phone telling me that my current connection is 144 although I regularly have 200+.

I think you are referring to the speed your phone is associated to your router at. If not, I'm curious as to who your provider is.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I think this is where you guys need to read up on net neutrality.

My understanding of net neutrality is that it is to prevent big money corporations from paying your ISP to give them preferred bandwidth and/ or to throttle those that do not pay... If anyone would be paying to have preferred bandwidth it would be YouTube.

The whole point is that if you are paying your ISP for $AGREED_SPEED that you are indeed receiving a service that provides $AGREED_SPEED regardless of the source of the traffic. (This does not and cannot, of course, compensate for slower speeds resulting from a slow server!)

Once I got that message also, despite speeds were over 300 mbps.
Idk if at that moment the connection was slow or what, but never happened again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back