Battery powered snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing one this winter. Anyone used one of these? It will be used to clear the sidewalk,along with clearing the front entrance to our 2-stall garage.

I can't imagine battery powered having enough power to throw snow. Has battery technology advanced that far so soon?

It did say on the video around the 2 min mark that he wouldn't buy it for the $400 asking price.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I can't imagine battery powered having enough power to throw snow. Has battery technology advanced that far so soon?

If you get any serious amount of snow, forget it. I had a single stage snowblower, and it wasn't any good at doing the bottom of the driveway. I had to update to a dual stage snowblower.

Last edited:

shouldn't be TOOdifferent than the Cordless electric lawn mowers that seem to do ok...

Originally Posted By: earlyre

shouldn't be TOOdifferent than the Cordless electric lawn mowers that seem to do ok...

I bought a battery powered lawn mower 2-years ago.It works just as well as a gas mower.

thumbsup2.gif

He said it will work for 45 minutes on a charge. As the batteries age, that time will decrease and YOU will have to shovel more. He did't say how much the replacement batteries cost, so that blower might get tossed when the batteries go bad. $400 on a gas blower that can last 20 years seems like a better investment to me.,,,

I started the winter of'12 with a dead Ariens and 2 shovels One storm and my son and I shoveled I cobbled a Chonda on the Ariens in time for the next snow fall
grin2.gif

If I needed a blower, I would have to sit down to run it. A plow on a UTV would be more fun. Enjoy your white yard.

I think that there is a big market for an electric snowblower, even at the $400 price.

There are plenty of people that don't want to keep gasoline around, or deal with starting a gas engine in winter. The real market might be businesses that aren't allowed to store gas or gas powered equipment. A few hundred dollars extra isn't much when you can keep a business entrance clear and safe, and avoid the delay and cost of contract snow removal for light snows.

^ Exactly this. My parents' church had a corded electric snow thrower they kept in an inside broom closet. Gas wouldn't fly.
wink.gif

PS it was awful to use but beat shovelling. As a middle schooler I was drafted/ volunteered into running it as opposed to hanging with grown ups drinking coffee from the 60 quart urn.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
He said it will work for 45 minutes on a charge. As the batteries age, that time will decrease and YOU will have to shovel more. He did't say how much the replacement batteries cost, so that blower might get tossed when the batteries go bad. $400 on a gas blower that can last 20 years seems like a better investment to me.,,,

Exactly what I was thinking

For renters or condo dwellers this might be a good medium-term solution. Dealing with end of driveway stuff might be a bit of a challenge, as with any single stage machine. For getting snow from a parking spot, it would likely work out well.

Your going to have to store it somewhere warm, none of those batteries do good in below freezing garages.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Your going to have to store it somewhere warm, none of those batteries do good in below freezing garages.

smirk.gif

Batteries would be stored inside,if I choose to go this route.
Thanks all for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back