Rear end feels like its "loose"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the front control arm bushings especially the large donut one, check for a broken sway bar, look carefully these break near the steering rack, Rusted out trailing arms or bushings are another weak spot as well as the trailing arm perch where the bolts are.

It could be a lot of things but these are common. Find another shop, any decent mechanic should be able to diagnose this blindfolded.

I had that problem with my Montero. Had new shocks and an aftermarket alignment kit installed on the rear to give better adjustment and problem is cured. Also if a shock is bad that can make the rear wander. I have always found new tires tend to fix this problem. Higher air pressure definitely can help too.

Sounds like a tough nut to crack, but in the meantime, just take all your turns hard and fast
smile.gif

Sounds to me like a combination of softened springs and worn shocks/struts.

Event though you did the struts 80k ago, the (likely) weakend springs were letting them hold too much weight and might have worn them quickly.

I had a Lexus like this I had to sort out. I could have described it exactly as you did. 220k miles. I replaced the soft factory rear OE springs with some Moog units and new KYB strut cartridges. Right as rain afterwards and like new.

I don't know your car in particular, but 26psi in the rear seems awfully soft, too, and likely magnifying the problem.

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
I will take it for scrap the day it dies. But it still keeps up with the best of 'em out there
smile.gif
I runs pretty dang good actually. I take it several states away quite a bit. Several thousand miles away. Everybody tells me im crazy lol. But ive had the car since new so I know its been well maintained.

Got any pics?

Got back from a good long ride with the fronts pumped up to 35 and rear 32... It rides really bumpy now, but it wanders the same. But I have to say it handled good and I got better MPGs. I ordered 4 new struts again
smirk.gif
ahh it costed me too much... Oh well, it probably needed a new set again. They will be in Wednesday. Ill call tomorrow and try to schedule an appointment with a different alignment place for Thursday.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Well usually the factory designs them to understeer, so you would really have to try to get it sideways. At that mileage, everything bushing wise is worn , so alignments are not going to be precise.

Hey guys!!
smile.gif
I've noticed that my car feels like its wandering.
I looked at my tires and they are still wearing on the inside pretty bad. They still have good tread tho. I cant deal with it anymore, its been doing it since 2013... I know I know, shame on me.

I've taken it to several different alignment shops, and all of them tell me its all within spec.

Do you happen to have a printout of the current alignment settings that you can post for us?

BC.

I found one from June. That was the second to last alignment I had done. They never adjusted anything so it should still be the same now. I still have no clue how to post pictures on here. Want me to just type it up or scan it and post it? If somebody would be nice enough to help me with posting pictures, Id greatly appreciate it.

It has adjustments for toe for both the front and the rear, just no camber adjustment. Thats considered a 4 wheel alignment, right?

Ah, I thought the old Malibu's had a torsion beam.

Phew what a Day!!!! I took a vacation day today to get all my stuff done. Been workin on it since early this morning. My struts came in. I went and picked them up, came back home and put them on. It was really simple to do (its the second time ive done it though). I could immediately notice it was more stable. Then I went all the way back to town and bought a new set of tires. It still wandered, but didnt feel like it was dog-tracking anymore. I then went on for an alignment. They said the front toe was off again but the rear was fine. I told him someone else just fixed the front toe because it was off. So he fixed it and I asked him if he would be nice enough to let me drive it around for a good while and then bring it back and check to see if it was out of spec again. Sure enough, the front toe is wayyy off again!! So im thinking ive still got a rack issue because all tierods are good. But the ride is very improved from before!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back