5w30 vs 5w30 in a 2014 toyota yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a 2014 yaris would running 5w20 instead of 5w30 cause more engine wear cause its a thinner oil? Or would it be safe to run 5w20?

Last edited:
Which one does the manufacturer recommend? I would think a 30 weight would be fine and preferable in sunny warm California. But go with the manufacturer's recommendations. The 5w-20 might actually cause less wear depending on how the car is driven and at what ambient temperatures. Normally, alternative oil grade choices are higher....not lower than manufacturer's recommendations. It does appear that 5w-20, 5w-30, and even 10w-30 have been recommendations on the Yaris of various years. Probably a lot of choices between grade and conventional/synthetic/blends. I doubt there's a huge difference in the 20 vs 30 grade. Your driving habits and oil change intervals will overshadow that.

Your thread was posted in the cooling additives forum rather than the PCMO forum. You'd get a lot more views there. Maybe a mod will move it over there.

Yeah, it would probably be safe using a quality oil. By why would you? You won't save squat on fuel mileage.

I would think a 30 weight would be fine and preferable in sunny warm California. But go with the manufacturer's recommendations. The 5w-20 might actually cause less wear (or more) depending on how the car is driven and at what ambient temperatures. Normally, alternative oil grade choices are higher....not lower than manufacturer's recommendations.

It does appear that 5w-20, 5w-30, and even 10w-30 have been recommendations on the Yaris of various years. Probably a lot of choices between grade and conventional/synthetic/blends. I doubt there's a huge difference in the 20 vs 30 grade. Your driving habits and oil change intervals will overshadow that.

Given that the new performance standard on BITOG is "didn't blow up", you'll certainly achieve that if you go to 5W20...it won't blow up.

Given that Toyota are chasing economy with their 20 grade oils, and are backspeccing everything that they can, I'd be circumspect as to why they are still speccing a 5W30. They must think that this engine/vehicle needs the 30, or your manual would say 20.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Which one does the manufacturer recommend? I would think a 30 weight would be fine and preferable in sunny warm California. But go with the manufacturer's recommendations. The 5w-20 might actually cause less wear depending on how the car is driven and at what ambient temperatures. Normally, alternative oil grade choices are higher....not lower than manufacturer's recommendations. It does appear that 5w-20, 5w-30, and even 10w-30 have been recommendations on the Yaris of various years. Probably a lot of choices between grade and conventional/synthetic/blends. I doubt there's a huge difference in the 20 vs 30 grade. Your driving habits and oil change intervals will overshadow that.

Your thread was posted in the cooling additives forum rather than the PCMO forum. You'd get a lot more views there. Maybe a mod will move it over there.

While we don't have the Yaris here, what I see with several brands is with high revving for long periods (climbing mountains at 4000 rpm or so for 30-40 minutes, the thinner oils (unless synthetic) tend to have high consumption.

On certain Nissans climbing mountains we've had to either change the 5W-30 recommendation to synthetic only - or 10W-30. One of our test vehicles was used to commute 3 times a week where the road goes from 600 ft above sea level to the pass at 10,000 and then down to 8,500' in about 100 miles.

So the smaller the engine, and the less gear choices you have, the more you need synthetic or a higher grade.

Originally Posted By: golddredgewater
The owners manuel says to use 5w30, if i used 5w20 would it be safe?

So there is no back-spec, and the manual states that 5w-30 is to be used, no alternates?

If so, 5w-30 it I, IMO.

The logic was at one time that 30 at oils typically shear down into heavy 20wt oils anyway, so might as well formulate a slightly more stout and shear stable 20wt, and run it. Vehicles have been able to use 20wt oils nearly forever, hat makes some of the cafe conspiracies a bit dubious to me, particularly now that we have plenty of vehicles living long life on 20wt oils.

But that said, if the vendor recommends 5w-30, you're best off selecting that viscosity. The use of AFE 0W-30 is a sensible choice too, IMO, if you wish to go syn.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that the new performance standard on BITOG is "didn't blow up", you'll certainly achieve that if you go to 5W20...it won't blow up.

Maybe...

BTW, I think I said "Doesn't show any signs of blowing up" which isn't the same thing as "Not blowing up" and I did follow it up with a
grin.gif

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to post the "fake" Toyota oil chart... and insist Toyota US has back specced it.

OP, I'd just put 5w-30 in it.

DuckRyder,
It was irefernce to the "show the pile of failed engines" strawman that usualy attends such discussions, and the current penchant for mixing and not blowing stuff up.

Personally, I've used the same 5W20 as had been used by Ferrari/Lambourghini aficionados in a vehicle specced for 5W30...that's Nisan's spec, the Ferrarris and Lamboughinis specced higher viscosity, but they were anticipating slightly harsher service than driving to the nail clinic or tanning salon.

Across the Mojave desert.

And nothing blew up....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3427767/Condensed_BITOG_learning

I'd run 5w-30 under warranty; that being said I've run 5w-20 and 0w-20 in my 1NZ-FE and will probably this winter.

Remember the line between 20 and 30 weight is just a line; an oil can be classified a 30 weight and with a little thinning, now a 20 weight. It is not clear how the engine knows this.

Last edited:
It isnt likely to be unsafe but why are you considering 5w20? Must be a reason. If gas mileage, dont bother you wont notice any diff. 0w30 or 5w30 is what id stick with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back