2008 FORD TAURUS LIMITED 3.5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently inherited this beautiful vehicle. It sat in my Uncle Als garage over a year. It only has 26,321 miles. He used 5w30 Marathon conventional oil in it. It needs serviced. I am thinking to move to a full synthetic that I run in my 2015 FORD Escape. Service Pro Full Synthetic with Bosch Filter. Uncle Al used standard Stp filter. Since it has sat in garage for so long. What would be some recommendations you all would give on servicing. On oil selection and filter? Service Pro Full synthetic and Bosch filters works great in my escape. But this is a different beast. Please help

I'd change all the fluids and put new tires on it if they have flat spots on them from sitting. For oil, any oil that meets the factory spec will be fine. It isn't a DI or turbo, so no worries about needing extra short OCIs or anything.

New tires tomorrow at NTB Sumitomo Touring. Oil change Service Pro Full Synthetic 5w30 with Bosch filter. Flush and fill radiator. Using Super Tech from Walmart. Air Filter Fram
Trasmission whatever they use.

I had a Ford Fusion that was an 2008 3.0 v6. I ran 5w20 Castrol with titanium or Valvoline Synpower. I was very pleased with both and changed every 5k miles. Obviously a good bit too often. So, I would run any name brand synthetic oil that API SN, ILSAC GF-5 approved oil for 7500 miles in a lot of town/city driving or 10k all country or highway. Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol w titanium, Mobil one, Valvoline Synpower, Quaker State Ultimate Durability all are very good. A Fram Ultra would be good obviously for 15k miles. I know Pennzoil is on rollback at Wally world right now and has a $10 rebate. Mobil Super Synthetic is in sale at AAP for $24.99 with a Fram extra guard. Castrol Edge is on sale there too with a Fram Ultra for $29.99. That's a very good deal for that. My 08 Fusion ran really good on Castrol w titanium in the gold bottle. I also liked the Valvoline Synpower in it too. Truth be told... The motors in those Fords are pretty easy on oil so in reality any name brand synthetic oil will do you just fine .. Including Supertech which is a good option too. My Fusion had an XG-2 filter on it... That badboy was whomping big.. But i like it better than the weedeater size filter that goes on my Altima now
smile.gif

I gotta ask, with uncles low mileage, did he drive much? Maybe short trips and slow? Did it get to temp often? I might not "waste" the syn on it right now, but look for something with high detergency to get any accumulated sludge out before switching. And run some short OCI's for the next 10K or so ...

I would change transmission fluid & coolant.

I would use Motorcraft synthetic blend & a Motorcraft filter but it really doesn't matter. Those engines work well with any oil.

I owned a 2008 3.5 for 4 years. just run any old 5w-20 and filter you want. the only engine work I ever did was replace spark plugs at around 74k. rough starts, pulled #2 and gap was way off. new MC OEM and good to go. engine was not my problem, the trans was. hard HARD shift from 1-2 at low speeds and eventually full failure at 98k.

My 08 Taurus Limited fully serviced and after sitting a year, coolant, transmission all changed out. Just changed oil. Not using full synthetic as earlier stated. Took advice of you all. Synthetic blend 5w30 Castrol with Bosch filter. Its running like a dream. Thank you!!!
Dude at AutoZone stated that Bosch filters are very good. In his oopinion the best. Just thankful for you all

Retired Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back