Cooling system prep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of wondering (or wandering hehe) about prefilling a water pump or coating any gaskets or mounting surfaces with concentrate or 50/50 mix upon installation, to avoid a dry start, help ready the gaskets, etc

We sometimes prefill our oil filters to avoid dry starts and lube the oil filter gasket with new (or old oil) before installation.

Sometimes I like to backfill instead of filling through the radiator neck.

Remove the top hose from the top radiator nipple, put a funnel in it, and fill the engine from top-down. Filling through the radiator goes bottom-up.

This gets air bubbles out a different way, which sometimes helps, particularly if you fill the rad and still have 3/4 of a gallon to get back in what you took out.

The water pump "kinda" blocks water but not as badly as a tight thermostat. If you can get the pump full of water you run less risk of cavitation damage when you first start it.

I blew a water pump on a saturn by changing the antifreeze casually. I can't prove it for sure, but 48 hours later, it had a leak.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I blew a water pump on a saturn by changing the antifreeze casually. I can't prove it for sure, but 48 hours later, it had a leak.
The new coolant can wash away the crud by the waterpump seal and cause a leak. Very common. I see it all the time.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Sometimes I like to backfill instead of filling through the radiator neck.

Remove the top hose from the top radiator nipple, put a funnel in it, and fill the engine from top-down. Filling through the radiator goes bottom-up.

This gets air bubbles out a different way, which sometimes helps, particularly if you fill the rad and still have 3/4 of a gallon to get back in what you took out.

The water pump "kinda" blocks water but not as badly as a tight thermostat. If you can get the pump full of water you run less risk of cavitation damage when you first start it.

On some cars, if you don't prefill the radiator hose, they'll literally never burp.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Kind of wondering (or wandering hehe) about prefilling a water pump or coating any gaskets or mounting surfaces with concentrate or 50/50 mix upon installation, to avoid a dry start, help ready the gaskets, etc

Yeah, don't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back