16 Triumph Bonneville Line Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I find the Triumph name interesting. I read a lot of bike magazines and Triumph seems to have their act together as far as reviews in magazines go. I like the interesting prospect of a parallel twin.

Problem in my area, no dealers, I do have two, in opposite directions 1.5 hours from my house. What really catches my interest and have yet to sit on one and see it in person is the Thunderbird LT. The cruiser market is struggling right now. A few months back I called one of those dealers to see if they had any in the showroom, answer was yes and he even went to tell me about the great rebate they were offering, pretty much quoted me the price on the phone. It was a great price but never got to the dealer. If I was closer I would have, not that I am looking to replace my bike. *L* but my wife hears that every fews years!

I do wonder and in the past have gone to some Triumph sites, about reliability, my impression is it has greatly increased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
To put an end to this post for everyone, may I suggest anyone who says Harley is not American made, simply walk into any Harley Davidson dealership showroom in the United States of America and look at the manufacturing label on the bike.
Left side, lower frame near the front fork.
It will state, as exactly on my 2014 Road King "Union Made in the USA" case closed. Please do not try to justify stating otherwise with comments the components come from other countries etc, etc. Bottom line is the bike meets the requirements of Made in the USA, where other bikes (and ALL products from anything sold) can not.

How can you claim they're made in America when they're comprised of parts made from all over the world? Assembled in America is not the same as made in America...

I have to say that I find the Triumph name interesting. I read a lot of bike magazines and Triumph seems to have their act together as far as reviews in magazines go. I like the interesting prospect of a parallel twin.

Problem in my area, no dealers, I do have two, in opposite directions 1.5 hours from my house. What really catches my interest and have yet to sit on one and see it in person is the Thunderbird LT. The cruiser market is struggling right now. A few months back I called one of those dealers to see if they had any in the showroom, answer was yes and he even went to tell me about the great rebate they were offering, pretty much quoted me the price on the phone. It was a great price but never got to the dealer. If I was closer I would have, not that I am looking to replace my bike. *L* but my wife hears that every fews years!

I do wonder and in the past have gone to some Triumph sites, about reliability, my impression is it has greatly increased.

Lack of dealer network is a problem with Triumph. Luckily, I have a dealer not 5 miles from where I live...and to say reliability has greatly increased is an understatement...Triumphs are built as well as any bikes these days...

Originally Posted By: grampi
To put an end to this post for everyone, may I suggest anyone who says Harley is not American made, simply walk into any Harley Davidson dealership showroom in the United States of America and look at the manufacturing label on the bike.
It will state, as exactly on my 2014 Road King "Union Made in the USA" case closed. Please do not try to justify stating otherwise with comments the components come from other countries etc, etc. Bottom line is the bike meets the requirements of Made in the USA, where other bikes (and ALL products from anything sold) can not.

How can you claim they're made in America when they're comprised of parts made from all over the world? Assembled in America is not the same as made in America...

Oh MY GOD, to not screw up duckriders thread I will not post anymore on this, again, "MADE IN THE USA" means made in the USA. good god.
Twist it anyway you want but it is not stamped assembled in the USA like other products and its not stamped Made in China like APPLE products. Its stamped Made in the USA. Come on already.

Oh MY GOD, to not screw up duckriders thread I will not post anymore on this, again, "MADE IN THE USA" means made in the USA. good god.
Twist it anyway you want but it is not stamped assembled in the USA like other products and its not stamped Made in China like APPLE products. Its stamped Made in the USA. Come on already.

If that's what's stamped on it, then they're lying. Made in America is not a true statement if it isn't 100% made in America...you can't say something is made in America when it has foreign made parts on it...that's not a twist, it's a fact...

Last edited:

If that's what's stamped on it, then they're lying. Made in America is not a true statement if it isn't 100% made in America...you can't say something is made in America when it has foreign made parts on it...that's not a twist, it's a fact...

The law to have "Made in the USA" is that you must have a majority of parts from the USA comprising the finished product. However, the rules allow you be creative with the label to get around it last I checked. Therefore, "Union Made in the USA" may be interpreted more than one way to get around that.

As for lying, they may be or they may not be. It was not all too long ago it hit the news that parts in packages marked MADE IN USA were actually made in China.

As for Triumph...some of the ones we get here are Brit made, and some are made in Thailand. You can decode the serial number of any bike you look at buying to see where it is made. I did such a thing when I got my Speedmaster. Made sure I had a British made one.

So the question is, are you happy with the Triumph? Has it been reliable and was it easy get service?
I really like the styles of their bikes and if I was ever to have another bike may give one a good look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
They took the engine from a free-revving 865 to a big, slow 1200...judging by the torque figures. Water cooling. Huge radiator.

I'll reserve my real judgement for when all the specs come out, but all I see is a fatter bike with worse gas mileage and a less exciting engine.

I don't think "free-revving" ever came to my mind as describing the engine character of the 865 during my tenure as a Thruxton owner. Maybe, "will reach redline" or something along those lines
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
They took the engine from a free-revving 865 to a big, slow 1200...judging by the torque figures. Water cooling. Huge radiator.

I'll reserve my real judgement for when all the specs come out, but all I see is a fatter bike with worse gas mileage and a less exciting engine.

I don't think "free-revving" ever came to my mind as describing the engine character of the 865 during my tenure as a Thruxton owner. Maybe, "will reach redline" or something along those lines
grin.gif

Well and it depends on which 865 engine you had a bit. The 360 degree engine did rev a bit more freely than the 270 engine due to not needing to be balanced by a counterweight. Less rotational mass meant it did rev a bit quicker than the 865 used in the Speedmaster, America, and Scrambler.

Originally Posted By: rccsofla
Just wish they would trade the chain in for a belt drive on the Bonnevilles.

You can buy a conversion kit for them. I was always against it on a retro bike, but since they went all liquid cooled, the retro part is really really watered down *pun intended*

^ Looks as if Triumph contracted the marketing for their 'bobber' out to Harley. ^ Black leather, black bikes, hot women, loud rock and roll. It has proven effective for the MOCO, so why not?

Originally Posted By: gman2304

^ Looks as if Triumph contracted the marketing for their 'bobber' out to Harley. ^ Black leather, black bikes, hot women, loud rock and roll. It has proven effective for the MOCO, so why not?

Just don't plan on picking up any of those Hot Women, unless they are into riding on the fender....
wink.gif

Something about that one doesn't really work for me aesthetically, it looks front heavy... I feel like the tank needs to be smaller at least....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back