When to Replace Spark Plug Wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You problem is most likely not plug wires but is probably the MAIN RELAY they make the fuel pump and ecm turn on and they fail when they get hot. I would look to replace it, it is under the dash on the left side of column. VERY common problem on hondas of those years

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Wires are cheap. I don't bother testing them, just replace them at every spark plug change at the recommended intervals.

Keep it simple.
LOL worst advice ever, why not just replace the engine every 100k miles, don't bother testing anything, just replace at a given interval when you feel like it.

I have personally never seen a Honda or Toyota manual recommend the replacement of spark plug wires. Any issue, test to make sure it necessary, don't be a mindless drone.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Re: Measuring. While you can take a simple DC resistance meas. with a DVM, I suspect it won't give you the whole story compared to using 20kV, full acceleration, 3000 rpm. High voltage, under load, tends to see resistances quite a bit different than 1.5VDC, with no load.

If you can come up with an effective way of measuring the resistance at 20KV I'll bet the difference is in the noise. Resistance wires are not some magical semiconductor. Within the bounds of temperature and mechanical differences, resistance is resistance. Sure, carbon based resistances can alter characteristics under differing voltage loads, but we are talking in the low percent at worst.

I never replace them until I detect a miss. Since I only run my cars to around 175k miles, they never get replaced by me. I cannot see replacing a perfectly good set when I do my plugs....that's absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back