Opinions and discussion fodder

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm doing my oil change today and I have a wild hair. Vehicle of topic is:
1997 Nissan Pickup, 2.4 liter 4-cylinder
283,000 miles.

Manual recommends 5W-30, it's been run on practically everything of this viscosity grade or higher.

I am itching to run 0W-20. Any thoughts or opinions of how this might affect the longevity of the timing chain, tensioners, cam and lifter/followers, etc?

I did replace the chain and associated items at the 190,000 mile mark due to a failed tensioner guide rail.

What do you guys think? Is it a stupid idea or a scientific endeavor of staggering proportions? I have everything from from 0W-20 to 15w-50 in my stash so it's just a matter of which jug to pull off of the shelf.

Filter will be a Fram TG3682. So, 0W-20 in the old worn out dog?

I'm sure nothing significant will happen over one OCI unless you try to tow a mobile home with it.
An interesting experiment would've been switching over to 0W20 after your tensioner guide replacement and see how long the new guide lasted.

Ramblejam, this IS my hobby, brother.
smile.gif

This little engine screams out on the highway. At 75 MPH I'm turning 3500 RPM which is NOT the sweet spot for this engine.

It consumes no oil (YET) but does seem to be hard on the oil. For severe duty Nissan specifies a 3,750 mile drain interval which I try to adhere to.

Oh, and I do have some Schaeffer's Moly EP, Lubro Moly MOS2 or Motor Oil Saver, and some CamGuard aviation application oil supplement if any of that stuff would prop up the light viscosity grade oil.

Not sure what your goal is. I know you said curiosity, but there must be an end goal in mind.. It might work just fine.. personally id stick with the 5w30 as your truck has nothing to prove..

Originally Posted By: FowVay
283,000 miles.

Manual recommends 5W-30, it's been run on practically everything of this viscosity grade or higher.

I am itching to run 0W-20. Any thoughts or opinions of how this might affect the longevity of the timing chain, tensioners, cam and lifter/followers, etc?

I did replace the chain and associated items at the 190,000 mile mark due to a failed tensioner guide rail.

What do you guys think? Is it a stupid idea or a scientific endeavor of staggering proportions? I have everything from from 0W-20 to 15w-50 in my stash so it's just a matter of which jug to pull off of the shelf.

Any RATIONAL reason for that?

As mentioned previously, to see if I encounter catastrophic failure (curiosity). The engine is old and a bit tired. If oil viscosity was going to do it in then this would be a good candidate to see what is affected. I'm mainly curious to know if it will spin a bearing.

If it doesn't do it in then I wonder if I will see any benefits. I have a 700 mile trip to take tomorrow and if it's going to return any fuel economy benefits then this trip will certainly prove it.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
283,000 miles.

I tried PP 5W20 in my 2000 MB E430(spec'ed xW40 with HTHS > 3.5) 7-8 years ago. It was much quieter than M1 0W40, also throttle was much responsive and better gas mileage too.

Currently I mix M1(or Castrol) 0W40 with 0W20 to get HTHS around 3.0-3.2 in my E430.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back