Winter steel rims lug nut seat type

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I get ready to swap on the winter tires this season.

I hope I've been using the right lug nuts.
All my lug nuts are the oem with ball seat.

Both cars are honda and the steel rims are hubcentric.

First set purchased from tire shop.
Second set came with used car purchase.

From photos, can someone tell me if they can be used with ball seat? Or need to be acorn/conical. I wish there are rim pictures to show the difference.

1st set, purchased.
20151113_003103.jpg

20151113_003316.jpg

2nd set, came with used car
20151113_003339.jpg

20151113_003411.jpg

2nd set holes feel more angled? Not sure how to describe it but it feels a little different from 1st set.

I've read of a couple ways to tell. One would be to stick your finger in the hole and feel for a rounded side vs a straight side.

Another way is to squish some play doh or clay into the seat and visually check.

Another way is to clean the wheel and lug nut, then mark the wheel with a grease pen or something like that, then insert the lug not and take a look at how much engagement you have/grease transfer.

I think that most aftermarket wheels are conical seat, but that doesn't help much if you can't tell if they are aftermarket vs. OEM take offs. Maybe look for a part number on the wheels and google?

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've read of a couple ways to tell. One would be to stick your finger in the hole and feel for a rounded side vs a straight side.

Another way is to squish some play doh or clay into the seat and visually check.

Another way is to clean the wheel and lug nut, then mark the wheel with a grease pen or something like that, then insert the lug not and take a look at how much engagement you have/grease transfer.

I think that most aftermarket wheels are conical seat, but that doesn't help much if you can't tell if they are aftermarket vs. OEM take offs. Maybe look for a part number on the wheels and google?

The set that I purchased. I'll email the company to ask if they know. They claim it's Honda oem wheels, but I can't tell for sure as I didn't see any markings.

The used set, there's the number on it which I found it to be Corolla OEM rims which is weird because the bore size should be different. and can't fit on Honda hub.

Corolla:
bore 54.1
offset 45

Honda:
bore 56.1
offset 45

http://tinyurl.com/ok42aq3

Now that I look at the picture I took, it looks like the center bore has been cut wider to fit Honda...

Are OEM steel rims ball or acorn seat?

Last edited:
I would expect OE steel rims to have an acorn seat. You can always look your lug nuts up on rockauto.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I would expect OE steel rims to have an acorn seat. You can always look your lug nuts up on rockauto.

Thanks for that suggestion, but even for Honda. They give both ball and acron seat nuts while it says it's for DX, LX, EX, but EX would usually have alloy wheels and DX would come with DX.

I looked up 2001 Corolla and it looks to be acorn.

I do feel there is a difference between the two rims, the used rims do feel like it has a sharper slant vs a more rounded seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back