Putting away car for winter . . . octane question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 cars which are either not galvanized or have no rust proofing (by design to save weight) that I'm am putting away for the winter (late November to April).

I've just changed the oil on one of the cars and driven about 1000 miles on the other since the last oil change with synthetic Mobil 1.

I usually fill the tanks with gas and plug in the trickle charger. Is there a preference in octane of gas? Also, I've never done this but is fuel stabilizer recommended. If so, any specific brands.

It wouldn't hurt to throw some fuel stabilizer in. For ~6 months with stabilizer in the tank, octane loss shouldn't be a real concern. If filling up with higher octane gives you more peace of mind, go for it.

I had trouble with stale gas in small engines with or without stabilizer, but have had no trouble since I started using premium in them. We're talking maybe a dozen gallons per year for me, so I don't care that it costs a little more.
FWIW

Octane rating should have nothing to do with it, but the quality of the gas probably does. Using one of the top tiers wouldn't be a bad idea if just for feel-goods.

I store 2 motorcycles each winter (stored outdoors -- lack of storage, batteries tendered, covered)...in the past few years I have either topped off with 87 or 89 octane and treated with a fuel stabilizer (Lucas, Sta-Bil Marine, or Startron); always had a bit of trouble firing up in the spring but the 'resurrection of 2015' was the hardest (with Startron) & used K100 MG+ to 'spike' the fuel after the first startup to refresh the fuel a bit more...instant fire up!

this year I started using high octane on the last few fill ups & topped off with 89 octane...stored both bikes with the K100 MG+ this year and hoping to have easier starts in the spring (especially since they went into hibernation @ 1 month earlier);

to summarize...increase octane & stabilize the fuel!!!

I've only used Sta-Bil. Others may work, but so does Sta-Bil so I've never had a reason to switch.

EDIT: I've also never used it in a car, only lawn care equipment and snowblowers.

Last edited:
I really don't think you'll see any difference in the spring whether you fill with regular or premium.
I haven't.
I also don't think you'll gain anything with a fuel stabilizer.
I've never seen any difference in the spring whether I used a fuel stabilizer or not.

If the storage area is cool or at least, not too warm. I get by without stabilizer.
If I store something all summer, especially with winter gas in the tank, I might have a problem.

my GENERAC 6500 gen set with a one-lunger sino-honda has now 3 year old gas in it. Starts right up and runs fine. IIRC, I put Premium E0 and a couple 0z top oil. That's a low tech fueler though.

Now MPFI automotive, Id go with E0 and some top oil too. Never had good luck with Sta_bil stabilizer. Never had bad luck without it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
my GENERAC 6500 gen set with a one-lunger sino-honda has now 3 year old gas in it. Starts right up and runs fine. IIRC, I put Premium E0 and a couple 0z top oil. That's a low tech fueler though.

Now MPFI automotive, Id go with E0 and some top oil too. Never had good luck with Sta_bil stabilizer. Never had bad luck without it
smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies. What would be a potential negative of a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-bil?

Negative is potentially use only a portion of the bottle and the rest goes to waste before you have a chance to use it again. If you don't have this issue go for it.

I;ve had success with redline si-1 to stabilize fuel for my lawnmower that would otherwise not startup and require fresh gas and draining of the carb and bowl.
You can pretty much use up the si-1.

Originally Posted By: ymc226
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies. What would be a potential negative of a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-bil?
My string trimmer 2stroke ran hot and lean. If you dump the fuel maybe no problem. NOT viable for me with a 5 gallon genset.

I would go with 91 or 93 ETH free if possible... seafoam been my goto...
Trickle charger a waste... just charge batteries fully and forget about it...
I just put my truck in storage... battery charged, filled up with ETH free 91... nice blast of seafoam...

Yeah, just find a Top Tier station and use stabilizer. Everything will be fine.

I usually make the 30 mile drive for ethanol-free fuel. The trip back is more than enough to get the Sta-bil everywhere in the fuel system.

If the car calls for regular I'd store it with a full tank of that and Stabil Marine. 6 months give or take is not that long, it should fire right up if you keep the battery charged. Just be sure mice don't build their home inside the tail pipe or air intake. You might want to plug those openings up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back