Think I these plugs are done. ;) 01 Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. 262,392KM. Purchased this vehicle about two/three years ago. Mostly used for vehicle transportation on and around the farm. Was told that this vehicle was going to be used more next year, so I got on to doing the maintenance. Enough with the story. Here's the picture of the spark plugs. NGK G-Power. Funny thing is, I ordered NGK G-Power Plugs before even knowing I had the same plugs in the vehicle.

I don't know where the 6th plug is but its pretty similar with the others.

How often do you change your plugs and plug wires? I had to order a set of wires too because I broke a wire.

Hh2Ghxp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
NGK aren't original,Champions are.So they have been changed at least once before.I would change them at 70-80K miles.

I use these plugs in place of the double electrode types. They cost less and the spark isn't shrouded as much. Since the engines I use them in have easy to reach plugs, the shorter life isn't a problem. I wouldn't use them on the back side of a transverse V6. Your plugs could easily be regapped, but they're cheap enough to just change.

Last edited:
I just changed mine on my Volvo today, and I installed the NGK standard plug. It had the platinum tip G-Power that had been in service for about 48,000 miles. NGK specs the G-Power at 30 to 40,000 miles, and the standard plugs for 30,000 miles, at least on my car.

With all that carbon fouling on the plug threads that you uninstalled, the spark threads in the head need to be chased. The threads on my plugs were not too dirty, but they did not want to thread easily into the head, so I used a thread chaser to clean them up. It did make a world of difference when I threaded the new ones into the head. One hole was really dirty.

Nice to see these NGK plugs are still made in Japan! The NGK plugs are already preset with the gap set to the most popular application, but that gap was not right for my car. The gap was .036, and I had to change it to .028. NGK lists the gap under vehicle info, but the preset plug gap is listed on the spec page.

Last edited:
To your other question on plug wires, I tend to change the wires more often than the plugs, usually between 35 to 50k. I buy NGK wires and have used their platinum plugs at 100k intervals for the last twenty years. Very satisfied.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
NGK aren't original,Champions are.So they have been changed at least once before.I would change them at 70-80K miles.

NGK plugs where OEM in Chrysler products in the early 2000 model years. My 2003 Jeep came with NGK V Power plugs as OEM.

I just replaced the copper plugs Jeep used as OEM in my Liberty. I used NGK PZR6F-11 3271 Laser Platinum plugs. Chrysler called for replacing the OEM plugs at 30K miles, I was well over that. The NGK's I replaced the copper plugs with are much better and should go 100 K miles now.

With a transverse V6 engine, where the plugs can be hard to access, I'd use iridium (either NGK Laser Iridium or Denso Iridium Long-Life), so you don't have to worry about them again for at least 100k miles (160k km) (and they'd probably last 200k km with no problems).

If the above are not available for your engine, then Denso's Iridium TT may be worth considering.

Champion is the OE supplier for most Chrysler engines, so Champion iridium is also an option. They are also have the lowest price, and a $2.50 per plug rebate.

The wires I'd only change once, with the first spark plug change. But my car doesn't have spark plug wires
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: strongt
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

NGK plugs where OEM in Chrysler products in the early 2000 model years. My 2003 Jeep came with NGK V Power plugs as OEM.

Bad DNA with the ill-fated Daimler-Chrysler marriage for both 'partners.'

Although I like NGKs and my AMGs have 'em. Great iridium plugs imho...the Japanese know electronics!

The spark plugs are not that hard to change on a transverse V6. It just takes a little longer.

Just loosen the dog bones, and roll them over, and then hook a ratchet strap from the engine to the front above the radiator area, and just roll the engine forward. Just watch the front of the engine while ratcheting the strap, so you don't punch a hole in the radiator. When rolling the engine back, don't overdo it because you will start pulling on the upper and lower radiator hoses, which will, in turn, cause stress on the lovely plastic side tanks of the radiator.

Anyway, I am sure those high mileage plugs last a long time to go along with the high price. I just buy the standard plugs because they work just fine, and they don't cost much either. And by the time I do need to change plugs, which is around 30,000 miles, then it's time for me to inspect coolant hoses, vacuum lines, and etc., and rolling that engine over gives me a better look at everything.

I should of been more clear. I misplaced the 6th plug while removing it. Not that I couldn't find it. Ordered a NGK wire set. Was supposed to have it today but the parts person forgot to order it.

Yeah thkse plugs are done. Plats are about 50k or so. On my jeep i have taylor spiropro 8mm wires with the screamin demon coil and i make sure there is plenty of dielectric on the wires and only change them when they fail... no point in wasting money.

You seem to have some "blow-by" on the 3rd and 4th plugs. Seems like a lot of carbonization past the threads and even coating the ceramic insulator. Make sure that the engine block threads are threaded right and he new plugs are tightened to spec.

I replaced the original plugs in my son's 2001 Dakota 3.9 v-6 at 93,000 miles. The truck was starting to miss and the electrode was worn very badly. They were Champion copper.

You have to watch the plugs.

My car had about 25K miles on a set of Champion double platinum plugs with about 110k on the spark plug wires. It developed an occasional stumble. I thought it was the wires, but bought a set of new plugs for "while I was at it". Glad I did, the plugs were shot, with two of the platinum tips completely eroded away. I usually get 50K out of the plugs, but not this time. I wonder if the manufacturer had a bad batch of platinum tips.

A buddy just related that he changed his spark plugs. He got the replacements from Amazon. They were Autolite or Motorcraft. The car absolutely wouldn't run with the new plugs. He ended up going to NAPA and getting a fresh set of the same plugs. The car started right up. I wonder if the first set of plugs were counterfeit.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
You seem to have some "blow-by" on the 3rd and 4th plugs. Seems like a lot of carbonization past the threads and even coating the ceramic insulator. Make sure that the engine block threads are threaded right and he new plugs are tightened to spec.

Not blow-by but a leaking rocker gasket...The plug treads appear to have lots of anti-seize on them

Noticed the front valve cover gasket is leaking too. I don't know how I missed that one. But the vehicle does need a good highway run to get some carbon out. On the 3rd and 4th plug those two were in the back. It's more of a muddy oil goo that stuck to the plugs. (Dusty conditions). So I guess bluestream is correct.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back