suggestions for a 'do it all' 9990gw trailer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
smile.gif
Seeking to pick some brains that know things far better than me.

First of all I don't even have the tow rig (which will be a cummins turbodiesel first just a dodge pickup, eventually one swapped into a Suburban cuz I need the interior space) for this yet so this is very early in the process. I just like researching the heck out of and making really precise decisions, exploring the options well before I finally move forward. I also don't have experience of towing heavy and might well have wrongheaded ideas about what I can and can't do so better to correct it early. So i'll explain each point of what i'm looking for.

Why 9990? I want something just under the CDL-required level. Although I know Cummins can pull more than that, anything approaching a hotshot load is more likely to be pulled with a different bigger truck and I plan to have a CDL anyways. I plan to tow safe, and have the CDL, but I see it as an extra hassle having to stop at scales and submit to various inspections that it sounds like guys rated over have to deal with. Or maybe my pickup emissions aren't perfect or i've made some modifications. _> Just easier to avoid it.

HAS to be a ball hitch, not a fifth wheel cuz will eventually be behind a suburban or/and 1 ton van at other times. This is another reason not really seeking over 9990, i'm told ball hitch towing can be a little squirrelly with alot of weight. Some ads (seen, forget who makes) claim the right sway control and weight distributing hitch can be just as good or better than a fiver though - seeking comments to this effect whether legit or nonsense.

Wondering whether aluminum trailers are available instead of just steel. The few i've looked at suggest around 2500lbs tare weight minimum, was ideally hoping for a bit more than 7500lbs capacity while being legal.

Biggest thing is I want a single "do everything" trailer instead of separate trailers for different jobs. This might require custom modifications or even a custom trailer, I don't mind paying a bit extra (since one better trailer cheaper than two trailers usually) and might well want to build it myself even if I can learn more about trailer design. Something modular if possible, where I might add something with some locking pins (like a hydraulic dump ram or roll up ramp) which is removed when not used at other times.

The need-to-do list:
- Equipment trailer for lighter skid steer or/and utility farm tractor (assuming 5000lb weight class, plus extra space for some implements)
- Hauling cars and up to 1 ton 4x4 trucks (I do not want a dedicated car hauler, this would largely be various project vehicles to tear down and part out.) I don't mind if the wheels go past the sides or the front/rear lip of the vehicle pokes beyond the trailer IF this can be safe/legal - seeking advice how much overhang can be done as i'd prefer a smaller/lighter trailer for other times. Moving axle(s) to keep centered under the load is fine and probably a good idea.
- Bulk construction material (i'd like to lay 4x8 sheets's sideways even if the trailer is not that wide, is there a legal limit to overhanging cargo sizes to the sides and front/back if you tie the red flags on it or add side lights or something to the load itself?)
- Ability to load directly with a forklift (but not at all times, just when hauling pallets or totes, pallets only need to be single wide down the length, not doublewide like a semi trailer)
- Otherwise easy to move 'oversize' objects larger than the trailer (not necessarily beyond 102" legal widths) as long as I can stick flags or lights or something on it like things as random as someone giving away their old ham radio tower and wondering what limits I should follow for safety and legality. Or some old bulky machining equipment for the workshop that sticks out everywhere.

The "would be nice" list:
- Hydraulic ram 'dump' ability of certain bulk stuff like if I got a bunch of decorative rock from the landscaper
- Ability to haul and launch a smaller boat, I assume this is just some waterproofing of axles and wiring to make it submersible. Don't want a dedicated boat trailer as this would be a pretty infrequent use.

I've focused alot on 'oversize' things hanging beyond the trailer because unless it's unstable or unsafe or not legal it's one way to keep weight down, I also will have to store the trailer within a standard doublewide garage when not in use (possibly on it's side if that's feasible, yes I know tilting a 2500lb trailer up on it's side is nontrivial but it would let me park the econobox inside too instead of just pickup+trailer :p - i'm sure some kind of winching system could do it though) so that limits length and such as well. (and probably justifies something like the folding toungues seen on folding trailers just bulked up)

I'm guessing you're...early twenties, right?

Focus on school, and establishing a career so you can actually afford what you want in life; come back when these pie in the sky dreams become reality.

Until then, you're wasting our time, and yours.

you lost me at boat. A boat trailer is a whole different design than any of the other uses mentioned.

You are looking to combine 3-4 trailers into 1.. not sure its feasible.

Not quite sure where to start here... but first I'd discourage the idea of putting the Cummins drivetrain in a Suburban and then go towing. If you do, its just asking for all the problems the first-gen Cummins Dodge trucks had since that's essentially what they were- a frame not designed for that kind of engine (both weight and torque) up front. If you need interior space, this is why we have crew-cab trucks and camper shells or tonneau covers! :)

As for the trailer, it really sounds like a good flat-bed or dovetail utility with stake pockets is your best option. A boat trailer is TOTALLY incompatible with all the other options. You can certainly use a hydraulic ram dump trailer as a utility trailer (and even with ramps you can load ATVs, lawn tractors, etc.). But you can't forklift-load them from the side and there's a huge weight penalty. Hydraulic ram dump trailers are a dump bed on a separate frame, both of which have to be structurally rigid. So those suckers weigh a lot just *empty*. The little single-axle 10-foot bed models start at >1600 pounds empty weight and it goes up from there.

Wow, that's quite a post.

Not sure you're going to find the answer you're looking for, but good luck.

Sounds like you want a unicorn trailer that can haul heavy equipment, plywood, pallets, gravel, cars, and boats. You're gonna need a dump trailer with sides and a car hauler minimum. Then you won't even be able to haul a boat.

Even my dad's redneck ingenuity with his last trailer wasn't THAT wild, I'll post a picture of it below.

28rodoj.jpg

I would agree with others not do engines swaps into a Suburban or any other vehicle. The Cummins is a great engine depending upon the year. But leave it in a Ram pickup.

I would get a flat bed. You can get 10K GVW for $1500 used. It will fit the majority of your requirements. Forget about it being a boat trailer unless you can lift the boat off with a few people. Then build a cradle for the boat.

You will probably need brakes.

Once you get over 6000 lbs you will definitely want a 3/4 ton truck. Even if some 1/2 tons can tow 6000 lbs (and more), the trailer will push the truck all over the place, that does not happen with a 3/4 ton. If the trailer brakes fail and you have a 3/4 ton its not a big deal, the truck can stop the trailer and itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back