Reserve alkalinity of brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been using Prospeed RS683 Xtreme (now rebranded as Torque RT700) in my M3 for a while with pretty good results. They like to tout that it is "robust":

ROBUST: Reserve Alkalinity (RA) of 84. This is a measure of the "robustness" of the fluid. Compare to [Castrol] SRF with a RA of 10.

Would someone explain why I should care? I'll take an educated guess that since brake fluid isn't being changed regularly on a street car (maybe once a year or every other year), having that reserve alkalinity helps preserve brake system components....but it's supposed to be a sealed system so why is that even relevant?

I am due for fresh fluid in the spring and would happily reuse this, though I am still considering the switch to SRF.

Supposedly it's like TBN for brake fluid.

I wonder what Castrol LMA's reserve alkalinity is, because that one is specifically designed to absorb moisture more slowly.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Supposedly it's like TBN for brake fluid.

Sure, I get that, but again...why is it really relevant? Is brake fluid fighting a lot of acid formation? Is high reserve alkalinity really necessary?

Yes. Brand new brake fluid is corrosive enough to strip paint, and it gets worse once water is absorbed, and the higher temperatures seen on the track. A reserve alkalinity as high as RT700's probably isn't necessary for street use (cheap Walmart brake fluid every few years is enough), but it certainly helps in track use.

Here is a bit of discussion from ASTM. It is generally discussing coolant, but since both are glycols, and the presence of water is the source of acidity pH/pOH, it is relevant due to the condensation and ingress of water into the brake fluid glycols. Doubly so since corrosivity results in much faster chemical reactions under high temperatures.

Quote:
Reserve alkalinity is the number of millilitres, to the nearest 0.1 mL of 0.100 N hydrochloric acid (HCl) required for the titration to a pH of 5.5 of a 10-mL sample of an undiluted, unused coolant, antirust, or coolant additive, and unused or used solutions thereof.

Reserve alkalinity is a term applied to engine coolants and antirusts to indicate the amount of alkaline components present in the product. It is frequently used for quality control during production, and values are often listed in specifications. When applied to used solutions, reserve alkalinity gives an approximate indication of the amount of remaining alkaline components. Unfortunately, the term is sometimes misused in that its numerical value is said to be directly related to coolant quality, the higher the number, the better the coolant. ASTM Committee D15 on Engine Coolants believes there is a need to correct some misconceptions and place the term in its proper perspective.

Reserve alkalinity (R.A.) as defined in Section 3 of this method is the number of millilitres of 0.1-N hydrochloric acid required to titrate 10 mL of concentrated coolant to a pH of 5.5. The term is not a completely accurate description of the property being measured because “alkalinity” usually refers to the pH range above 7.0.

A review of the origin of the term may be helpful in attempting to understand its proper use. When ethylene glycol was first used as an engine coolant, it was uninhibited. The need for inhibition soon became apparent and triethanolamine was incorporated. When solutions of this inhibited glycol were titrated with dilute hydrochloric acid, it was found that the steepest part of the neutralization curve occurred at a pH of about 5.0. Following the introduction of triethanolamine, other buffers, such as borates and phosphates, have been used. Titration to 5.5 was employed with these buffers which have an end point close to 5.5.

Generally, most metals in an automotive cooling system corrode less in solutions which are mildly alkaline. The commonly used alkaline buffers, borates and phosphates, help to maintain this desirable alkalinity and a stable pH for substantial additions of acid. A well inhibited coolant contains smaller amounts of other inhibitors (in addition to the buffers), to give broad range corrosion protection for all of the metals found in the cooling system. These additional inhibitors may contribute very little to the titration, but they can provide excellent corrosion protection.

The alkaline inhibitors provide buffering action and neutralize acids introduced into the coolant by exhaust gas leakage, by residual acid cleaner, or by the oxidation of ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Some inhibitors which contribute little or no reserve alkalinity may give excellent corrosion protection to certain metals but have little capacity to combat acid contamination. In view of this, the magnitude of the R. A. in a coolant is not always a good criterion in determining its potential protective properties.

In summary, the precaution against the misuse of reserve alkalinity is that the reserve alkalinity of an engine coolant solution is not a dependable measure of its ability to prevent corrosion, nor can it satisfactorily indicate the additional life of the solution.

Yes. Brand new brake fluid is corrosive enough to strip paint, and it gets worse once water is absorbed, and the higher temperatures seen on the track. A reserve alkalinity as high as RT700's probably isn't necessary for street use (cheap Walmart brake fluid every few years is enough), but it certainly helps in track use.

The chemicals are a solvent on the paint.

Originally Posted By: CT8

The chemicals are a solvent on the paint.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, let's use the proper wording. New brake fluids can act as paint solvents but are NOT corrosive.

Great info, thanks folks. I have heard complaints of SRF causing issues in OEM braking systems (weeping gaskets/seals, etc) -- not sure if that's a function of the low RA or something else, but it's hard to argue against its insane wet boiling point of 518 F.

That being said, the Torque/Prospeed fluid has served me well but as I move to more powerful brakes soon I'll need to see how it stands up.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Great info, thanks folks. I have heard complaints of SRF causing issues in OEM braking systems (weeping gaskets/seals, etc) -- not sure if that's a function of the low RA or something else, but it's hard to argue against its insane wet boiling point of 518 F.

That being said, the Torque/Prospeed fluid has served me well but as I move to more powerful brakes soon I'll need to see how it stands up.

Isn't the RT700's WET boiling point the "best/highest of the rest", after the SRF??

I want to use either this, or try the Afco/U.S. Brake Ultra HTX at my next brake change/fluid flush.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: dparm

Isn't the RT700's WET boiling point the "best/highest of the rest", after the SRF??

I want to use either this, or try the Afco/U.S. Brake Ultra HTX at my next brake change/fluid flush.

Yes, the Torque/Prospeed is basically the next best after SRF. They also claim extremely low compressibility compared to other fluids, and a lot of the Porsche Cup guys have actually switched to this from SRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back