Chevy Volt Brake Fluid Eww

No issues with my brakes, but had a conversation with a coworker about flushing brake fluid and I I went out to check mine because why not and the brake fluid on my Volt looks gross. It’s not super urgent as mostly braking is done by regen but I would like to have clean fluid to ensure long lifespan of the rest of the brake system. I suspect the brake fluid is original to the car.

I’m wondering if there’s anything special I have to do on this car or just the good ole jack it up open bleeder screw and have a friend pump the brakes? Will I need to bleed ABS module with a scanner or something? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 50
A short term subscription to alldatadiy for the service procedure is the correct answer.

A short term subscription to alldatadiy for the service procedure is the correct answer.

Sure, or I could just take it to the dealer. But I’m asking here because I know several other people on here have or have had Volts and I wanted to know what I was getting myself into in terms of flushing the brakes :)

make sure you know what kind of fluid it takes, it might be dot5 silicone, or hydrocarbon oil. dot 3,4,5.1 must be clear.

Page 5-187 of the 2013 Chevy Volt service manual describes the manual bleeding procedure.

It is exactly like any other vehicle.

The TSB linked above appears to be for situations where there is air in the system, which should not be the case if you are just wanting to change the fluid. The shop manual directs you to do a pressure bleed only if a manual bleed still results in spongy pedal; see line 21 below.

Last edited:
You have to wonder if the owner's manual steps are in fact insufficient and GM found this out later, hence issuing the TSB.

It doesn't usually take 4 model years for that to happen.

What's more likely is that they needed to clarify that a pressure bleed is to be done if a manual bleed doesn't result in a firm pedal.

None of this matters, though, if the brake fluid just needs to be changed and there is no air in the system. There's no way a manual bleed could be insufficient for a brake fluid change, as long as brake fluid is coming out of the bleeder.

I take that you have not played with many of these brake by wire systems?

The subject of this discussion is the Volt. How the brakes work on other vehicles is irrelevant. When the Volt is powered off, it's not a brake-by-wire system. (Presumably, they'd like you to be able to stop the vehicle in the event of a complete electrical failure). I did not include the part of the manual bleeding procedure that directs you to do it when the vehicle is powered off.

But hey, what do I know? It's not like I own one. It's not like I have the 4-volume service manual set and read the section about how the brakes work.

It's not like I know it has a master cylinder, brake booster and a pump..or a mechanism that directs the action of the brake pedal to that brake booster/master cylinder when it's powered off (or when an electrical failure or fault is detected).

Nope, I don't know any of those things. A Google search about how a Volt bleed process works has me beat.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try flushing the brakes the traditional way and if I have any trouble I’ll take it to the dealer.

Thanks, I will try flushing the brakes the traditional way and if I have any trouble I’ll take it to the dealer.

It does say to press the brake pedal several times till brake pedal gets hard, to deplete the brake booster, prior to starting the manual bleed process. I didn't include that portion of the instructions. The only other portion I didn't include talks about bleeding the master cylinder, which I assume you don't need to do since you aren't replacing it.

Back