Specific gravity and density

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is trying to extrapolate other physical properties of a fluid from its flash point isn't something I'd recommend.

I think I can see where you are going, let's try.

Group 1 oils have significant naphthenic and aromatic molecules remaining even after solvent extraction. In the same boiling range, you have quite a mix of molecular forces with different intermolecular as well as intramolecular forces.

Aromatics with the shared pi bond electrons are quite stable in a number of respects. Their density will change less with temperature than similar parrafinic compounds, and their autoignition temperatures will be significantly higher than similar paraffin compounds. Aromatic compounds are good in gasoline for antiknock properties and energy release. In diesel, with no spark for ignition, aromatic compounds lower the cetane rating for the same reasons they increase gasoline octane rating. They also tend to make great solvents but can burn smoky / sooty. They are difficult to destroy in nature.

Naphthenic compounds are cycloparrafins but lack the shared pi bonds of aromatics. They are less dense than similar aromatics but more dense than similar non-cyclo paraffins. They can flex to some degree but their ring structure makes for a large effective molecular diameter.

Isoparrafins are lower boiling than normal paraffins, but would typically have higher autoignition points than similar normal paraffins. They have high octane values (isooctane is 100 octane by definition) and lower cetane rating. They will similarly have lower freezing temperatures than similar normal parrafins and naphthenes, but higher vapor pressures due to their lower boiling points. This is what catalytic dewaxing produces (hydroisomerization); hydrocracking also produces a high fraction of isoparaffins. Hydrogenating polyalphaolefins produces isoparrafins, but the lubricants industry nomenclature is to refer to them as if they were still olefins, or add the suffix (hydrogenated). For example, 1-decene homopolymer (hydrogenated). Hydrogen has been added at the molecular level, and structure is skewed to favor branched chains. This increases the presence of these compounds vs. what was naturally occurring in the crude oil.

Normal paraffins have the lowest octane value (normal octane has an octane value of zero by definition), which can be expected from their lower autoignition temperatures. They conversely are very desirable for diesel cetane rating. However they will form waxes easily. Canning wax like Gulfwax is a good example of something rich in normal parrafins. The natural gasoline fraction of crude oil and natural gas condensate also typically has a high proportion of normal parrafins, requiring skeletal isomerization to raise octane by converting to isoparrafins, which also raises volatility as this lowers boiling point. Or catalytic reforming to not only convert naphthenes to aromatics, but to get normal paraffins to wrap into rings that are then dehydrogenated as well. This raises octane and lowers volatility, but increases freeze point (not really an issue in gasoline though) and more challenging to combust completely.

Hope this helps. There are always tradeoffs.

As for VII's, I can't speak knowledgeably on those. My lubricants production experience included converting naphthenic crude to a variety of hydroprocessed process oils and while working my way through college some marine cargo custody transfer work for Lubrizol and once some base oils for Pemex; never formulating a full retail level engine oil. I'll defer to Molakule on that part of your question / discussion.

I found two words that might rile up the camps on BITOG and that is "hydrogenating polyalphaolefins".

Could that be called hydro-finishing (saturating) PAOs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pretty good document on that subject.

http://www.myeln.org/chemicals/supplier/cas/68037-01-4.html

Olefins, and particularly diolefins, are more reactive than paraffins; in gasoline they have high octane rating but can produce gums, so antioxidant is added.

I see I have some typos no matter how many times I try looking in preview before I post. Hopefully they don't distract / confuse too much from the meat of the discussion.

edit - found better link

Last edited:
FWIW, saturation of olefins happens very quickly in hydroprocessing, much more readily and rapidly than conversion of organically bound sulfur to H2S or organically bound nitrogen to NH3. Olefin saturation releases a lot more heat as well.

My memory says relative rates are 100 for olefin saturation vs. 5 for desulfuriuzation vs. 3 for denitrification, but I need to look around for confirmation of those values - but it should give some relative sense of scale. Processing naphtha and distillate from a coker or visbreaker is considerably more complicated than naphtha and distillate obtained from simple distillation of crude oil. The more you squeeze the bottom of the barrel, the more complex things get.

Hydrocracking is carried out in a high hydrogen partial pressure environment so olefins formed are quickly saturated. Most organic sulfur, nitrogen, & metals are removed in the pretreating reactors or catalyst beds. GTL hydrocracker feed has the advantage of these either not being present in the feed or scrubbed out to such extremely low levels before syngas is ever produced, it doesn't wind up in the GTL product.

I just had a funny thought reading through all of this.

We dig or extract these feed stocks out of the ground including potash, sulfur and natural gas.

Separate them, mix them back together, make fertilizer, put them back into the ground, add sunlight, H2O and complete the circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back