BITOG trends over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

+1
I find the oil section almost useless, but at least the entertainment value is there.

Entertainment value ?

Are you saying some threads should be in the off topic and humor section ?

No, it's just that I find some of the threads and responses in the PCMO section hilarious.

Just search for some engine cleaning threads and see how many times PU is mentioned. I bet it will be in pretty much most of them, despite the lack of any tangible evidence that it actually cleans. But hey, the bottle says it cleans X times better, so let's just keep repeating it until it's accepted as truth.
There are many more “facts” like that being constantly repeated here and I moved on from being annoyed to getting a good laugh from these threads.

There are still some good, technical threads on here. They are quite easy to spot nowadays because they do not generate a lot of responses and people participating in them are usually old timers. But they are few and far between.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Whatever happened to Auto-RX? I am on and off the board in spurts so one minute it was the greatest thing since slice bread, then the next it was the molesting uncle at a family reunion nobody want to talk about?

Had heard rumors of paid shills but beyond that, got nothing.

Not sure, but I think the guy who sold it [censored] off the mods over something and got banished from BITOG...He had the locals real duped the the stuff though...Had that rinsed cycle and everything the we just love....It was the ultimate snake oil....

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Whatever happened to Auto-RX? ..............................

Not sure, ..............It was the ultimate snake oil....

Not entirely true, Terry Dyson well respected here in the early days, claimed it did work gently removing gunk.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/297461/2

I am not convinced it worked for everyone but there were some success stories with it. Sprintman was also an avid supporter of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Not sure, but I think the guy who sold it [censored] off the mods over something and got banished from BITOG...He had the locals real duped the the stuff though...Had that rinsed cycle and everything the we just love....It was the ultimate snake oil....

Absolutely was and still is...

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Not entirely true, Terry Dyson well respected here in the early days, claimed it did work gently removing gunk.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/297461/2

I am not convinced it worked for everyone but there were some success stories with it. Sprintman was also an avid supporter of it.

I had bought some back in the day for a couple of vehicle but never kept them long enough to remove a valve cover and inspect for any cleaning actions to validate the claims of Auto-RX. Never caused any problems I knew of but not 100% sure it did what it claimed.

I remember ordering direct from Frank and got the impression from both the packaging and the mailing of it, his whole operations was run out of a garage and maybe a mail service address in a business center for receiving mail. Not exactly the most professional marketed product. Also, there seemed to be a shady side when people pressed him on why he did not try to go national with distribution of the product?

I recall a post by Pablo in which he sums up the trends and topics that get repeated over and over. One of them (in his view) was "Fram allows large donkey turds to pass unmolested through my engine." What an image . . . wish I could find the post . . .

I certainly don't think Auto-RX was the 'ultimate snake oil'.....I would reserve that title for anything containing Teflon.
I do think that A-RX was based on good science (esters cleaning slowly) but I do agree with some of the comments regarding Frank's operation. Besides that the instructions were overly complicated and it was expensive.

I still have a bottle or two and wouldn't hesitate to use it in a dirty engine.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I recall a post by Pablo in which he sums up the trends and topics that get repeated over and over. One of them (in his view) was "Fram allows large donkey turds to pass unmolested through my engine." What an image . . . wish I could find the post . . .

It is disgusting imagery that comes to mind the link to thread is below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446646

1. Oh no, my iron increased by 8 ppm on this latest UOA. Now I can swear my engine is running louder. Thanks a lot for ruining my engine, [insert oil brand here]!

2. Interpreting and compiling tons of UOA data puts me in the same league as Einstein. This means I'm right and you're wrong, so don't even try arguing with me.

3. If you run cheap dino oil for a million miles, with nothing but stellar UOA's, then what other convincing do you need?!

crackmeup2.gif
Where has this site been all my life?

Here you go:

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I don't get tired of the forum, I get tired of some repeated threads...hoarding, GC is great, I found GC, I have a bunch of GC, syn vs dino, dino vs. syn, which is the best dino or syn, GC smells like artificially colored candy, how big is yours?, Amsoil caused my wife to run the car into a pole and made fender wells to rot out, M1 is noisy, M1 is loud, why is M1 loud?, dino is quieter than M1, Redline has esters, Castrol Syntec is not real synthetic, ester is bester, found some GC green, K&N sucks large donkey turds, K&N adds HP, synthetic doesn't increase MPG, FRAM allows large donkey turds to pass unmolested through my engine, Grp III sucks, AutoRx cures all, I found some GC at AZ........

LINK

I'm finding that many BITOGers find any excuse to put themselves in the severe service category and change their oil.

Some examples:
-I commute 10 miles each way therefore it's a short trip and severe service
-I run my car all the way to the redline therefore it's severe service
-I drive 80% in the city therefore it's severe service
-I drive in dusty conditions therefore it's severe service
-Extended OCI's are OK if you drive 300 miles a day
-My engine is DI so it's hard on the oil
-I short trip in Florida so it's severe service

Is there such a thing as normal service anymore?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back