PH3614 filter and its analogues fading out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PH3614 has a 3/4-16 thread. There are a bunch of filters by Fram, Mobil, and other makers that have dimensions that are on the head the same as this filter. So I am not referring only to Frams. I am referring to all filters that will use this head, including oversize ones.

Right now, I know the 2015 Ford Focus uses this size. Do many other new cars also use it? I am wondering if the filter will be around five years from now.

The 3/4-16 thread was the standard for decades - I use a 3614 variant on my 74 MG. It's not going away.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Toyota used it on the trucks for decades

Ford called out the FL-793 forever on Toyotas. A couple months ago they made the FL-793 obsolete and replaced it with the FL-910S. Funny thing, Ford listed the FL-793 for Mazdas that used the LF05-14-302B filter even though that Mazda filter has the FL-910S long number on the shipping cases.

Sorry, I nerd out on such things.

Another vote that it will be around forever. It may very well be the most common filter with the most applications.

Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota made extensive use of 3/4-16 threaded oil filters, in both the 3614 and the oversize 3600 variants.

Older cars used the huge PH8A, but it has the same thread.

Long list of applications

8A

Yep fits Chryslers too and many lawn tractors of all things if you don't want to get ripped off on the OEM filter. Very common size.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yep fits Chryslers too and many lawn tractors of all things if you don't want to get ripped off on the OEM filter. Very common size.

+1 planning on putting a Napa silver or proselect 1348 on my 22HR kohler courage garden tractor when I change next week

Also Napa syn 5w30 on sale going in all my OPE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
That filter will be around forever.

This.

There are at least 100 million cars sold that take this filter, it's never going away, especially when you add in the lawn equipment that it fits.

I don't think I'm exaggerating at all. There were 1.9 million Dodge/Plymouth Neons sold in the US and 2.2 million Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Neons produced for the world. (Per AllPar) That makes up 2.2 million uses of the PH3614 size (excluding the 25000 SRT4s as they took the taller 3600 size) and that's just the Neon. This doesn't take into consideration all of the uses of the Chrysler 2.4 DOHC used in the cloud cars, the 2.2/2.5s used in so many Chryslers, the Toyota V6s in the Camry, Avalon, 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra (pretty sure the V8 took it too).

Saturn s-series used this. Yugos used this. I can still get a timing belt for a yugo and they've been off the road for 25 years. Oddly, "metric" Toyotas often run 3/4-16 filters, though many take the "thimble" 4967.

32.gif
My FIL has a 1917 Franklin Air-cooled. Advance auto had spark plugs for this thing, in stock!

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I am wondering if the filter will be around five years from now.

Really? That's what you are wondering?

That filter is used on so many vehicles, it will be in use for decades, or at least as long as standard spin-on oil filters are around.

Granted, the FL-400s is a slightly longer variant, but it seems to me that the industry is going shorter, not longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back