Cracked exhaust manifold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a week ago we started getting an exhaust smell coming from the vents. It happens when the climate control system is working pulling air into the cabin. I think there is an exhaust leak and the exhaust is just pulling the air into the cabin. I also smell exhaust if I just open the hood. Today I got under it and the smell is coming from the rear of the engine.

Vehicle is a 2010 Chevy Equinox, 4 cyl, 2.4L engine. About 85k miles.

The vehicle is loud, especially at startup then quiets down. Oil level is fine. Last oil change was a few months ago.

Can't see the exhaust manifold to check if it is cracked except after taking several things apart on the top of the engine, but think this might be the problem. Seems like it isn't an isolated incident in these:

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9102.0

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
The vehicle is loud, especially at startup then quiets down.

That's the dead giveaway right there along with all the exhaust smells. When the engine is cold, the crack will be at its widest width. When the engine warms up, the metal expands and the crack closes up.

Thanks guys. Was looking for some confirmation since you can't see the exhaust manifold to make sure it is cracked unless you spend a half hour taking parts of the engine apart.

I ordered the parts (new manifold, manifold gasket, metal gasket where it goes into the cat, and new O2 sensor since I need to take it out anyway) and they should be in by the end of the week so I can do it Saturday. About $150 only including shipping. Looks like a fairly easy DIY job from the post I linked above, maybe two or three hours. We have another vehicle that can be driven in the mean time.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Thanks guys. Was looking for some confirmation since you can't see the exhaust manifold to make sure it is cracked unless you spend a half hour taking parts of the engine apart.

I ordered the parts (new manifold, manifold gasket, metal gasket where it goes into the cat, and new O2 sensor since I need to take it out anyway) and they should be in by the end of the week so I can do it Saturday. About $150 only including shipping. Looks like a fairly easy DIY job from the post I linked above, maybe two or three hours. We have another vehicle that can be driven in the mean time.

Blast the old studs and nuts with penetrating oil. On most exhaust systems, they usually get extremely rusty. Having a new set of studs and nuts may be a smart more. To remove old studs, you can use the "double nut" method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back