H11 LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
What is the correct way of installing H11 LED headlight globes?
Facing LEDs up and down or side to side?
Have LEDs on the both side.
Cheers
Bob

Face them up. I have a set of H11 LEDs in my Navigator's foglights.

Of course, some will tell you that you're a bad boy for having LED bulbs in a halogen housing, but whatever. Your dime, your choice.

You'd have to contact the manufacture, since your housing were not designed for LED bulbs there is no proper way.

And as DoubleWasp mentioned, you are a "bad boy" since your housings were not designed for them. Are these headlights or auxiliary lights? How does the lumen rating compare to the halogen bulbs? Any beam shots against a wall? My main concern beyond output would be poor beam pattern or focus.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Of course, some will tell you that you're a bad boy for having LED bulbs in a halogen housing, but whatever. Your dime, your choice.

If the OEM housing has no reflector or the OEM bulb tips were painted to shine radially only, then its not just 'your dime, your choice.' A bright, open light source is a hazard. This is why putting HID (or any much higher output lights in stock housings) is no good.

Seriously, what's up with all of the selfish drivers out there, doing what they want despite every other driver on the road. If you wouldn't be OK driving around with your high beams on all night then why would you be OK with an improperly-fitted bulb? Makes no sense.

I really want the higher output LED fogs for the Forester, but they shine omnidirectionally and, now that my wife predominantly drives the Foz I can't be sure she knows to only use them as 'driving' lights. So, I didn't buy them, because, used as 'fog' lights I bet they'd annoy other drivers...

Some upgrading is acceptable, some are not. LED/HID bulb in reflector halogen is most likely not a good upgrade.

I upgraded my OEM HID in my S2000 with same bulb type but with 5000 K instead of OE 4300 K, and upgrade 35W ballast to 50W ballast. The light output is a little whiter(higher wattage reduces color temp a little) and a little brighter, but the aim is the same as before so that no binding opposite traffic.

Hi.
These lights not blind on coming traffic at all.
I have drove my other car towards before and after fitting the H11 LED low beam headlight globes. Also I have a projector in my headlights.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

If the OEM housing has no reflector or the OEM bulb tips were painted to shine radially only, then its not just 'your dime, your choice.' A bright, open light source is a hazard. This is why putting HID (or any much higher output lights in stock housings) is no good.

Seriously, what's up with all of the selfish drivers out there, doing what they want despite every other driver on the road. If you wouldn't be OK driving around with your high beams on all night then why would you be OK with an improperly-fitted bulb? Makes no sense.

I really want the higher output LED fogs for the Forester, but they shine omnidirectionally and, now that my wife predominantly drives the Foz I can't be sure she knows to only use them as 'driving' lights. So, I didn't buy them, because, used as 'fog' lights I bet they'd annoy other drivers...

You know, today I saw 2 cop cars with HID converted halogen housings (becoming popular with public vehicles) and I asked them if they have ever heard of an accident being caused by lighting. Their answer was a simple "no".

They did go on to mention that several accidents have been caused by their own emergency lights, due to people braking like idiots, or rubber necking to see what is going on.

Some of you guys really get your panties in a bunch over something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

"Hazard" LOL.

And it is his dime and his choice. There's nothing you can or will do to stop him. If he likes them he's going to run them, and if he doesn't, he might not. But you and nobody else will have anything to do with that decision.

You know, today I saw 2 cop cars with HID converted halogen housings (becoming popular with public vehicles) and I asked them if they have ever heard of an accident being caused by lighting. Their answer was a simple "no".

They did go on to mention that several accidents have been caused by their own emergency lights, due to people braking like idiots, or rubber necking to see what is going on.

Some of you guys really get your panties in a bunch over something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

"Hazard" LOL.

And it is his dime and his choice. There's nothing you can or will do to stop him. If he likes them he's going to run them, and if he doesn't, he might not. But you and nobody else will have anything to do with that decision.

So, answer the question: would someone driving behind you or past you with their high beams on bother you at all?

An older Civic? I sometimes cant even tell. A newer car, blinding.

Like every issue, the solution and right answer isn't easy to come by and what may not wad my panties may yours, and vice versa. Seriously, I'm not talking about whiter lights or a cheap, low-output bulb replacement, but BLINDING kits that ARE a hazard.

Case in point, I got stuck behind some jack and ape who's aftermarket lights were SO bright, all three of my rear-facing mirrors were rendered useless and the I could only see the road in front of me as far as his light traveled, the brightness and contrast between his lights and the surrounding perfect darkness was so great.

Most are not nearly that bad, but even an annoyingly bright, scattered light that provides minimal to no benefit to the driver and annoys the heck out of and/or distracts others by a greater amount than zero percent is selfish and stupid.

I'm 100% with gathermewool. Seems to be very common up here, whether its aftermarket HID's or simply driving around with brights on. Really frosts me rear when people do that stuff.

So, answer the question: would someone driving behind you or past you with their high beams on bother you at all?

An older Civic? I sometimes cant even tell. A newer car, blinding.

Like every issue, the solution and right answer isn't easy to come by and what may not wad my panties may yours, and vice versa. Seriously, I'm not talking about whiter lights or a cheap, low-output bulb replacement, but BLINDING kits that ARE a hazard.

Case in point, I got stuck behind some jack and ape who's aftermarket lights were SO bright, all three of my rear-facing mirrors were rendered useless and the I could only see the road in front of me as far as his light traveled, the brightness and contrast between his lights and the surrounding perfect darkness was so great.

Most are not nearly that bad, but even an annoyingly bright, scattered light that provides minimal to no benefit to the driver and annoys the heck out of and/or distracts others by a greater amount than zero percent is selfish and stupid.

Let me ask you a better question: Do you have any idea at all if his lights are posing any such inconvenience to another driver at all, or are you just assuming?

Right back atcha. We both gave advice based on our personal experience. I don't recall telling the OP specifically not to upgrade, but posted in a manner to hopefully instigate a little more thought and research into the matter.

Also, I'd wager that not everyone who "upgrades" their lights understands the consequences.

The story I mentioned earlier: I slowed down and tried to let the guy pass, but when he didn't, I pulled over. He slowed down as he passed me, with his windows open, so I opened my window and yelled that his lights were [explicative] BLINDING! He actually stopped and, instead of yelling at me, yelled back, "I can't turn turn them off - it's how they're wired! I'm sorry, but you don't have to be as a-hole about it!"

The majority of HID and hack-retro kits range from annoying to dangerous - it's a fact...

However, I have also seen kits that put out about as much light as my flashlight (no joke or exaggeration!) that didn't bother me one bit, except that they weren't nearly as visible as they probably were with the stock housing/bulbs, so, if the OP has this kit, then more power to him...

Driving back from the east coast yesterday, I had probably 1,400Km under my belt and I was in the final stretch. I had some PYLON in something that looked like a Nissan Murano come up behind me, 10ft off my bumper while I'm actively overtaking somebody with one of the WORST aftermarket HID installs I've ever seen.

I have auto dimming mirrors on the Charger

Even that couldn't even begin to touch the insane and unfocused brightness that was this guy's HID swap. I wanted to take out both his headlights with a pick-axe.

I brake-checked him to get him to sod off and he darted across 4 lanes of traffic into the slow lane, got stuck behind a transport truck and was gone for about 2 minutes. I finished my overtake, got back in lane #3 and then he comes sailing back by onto the rear end of a Hyundai Sante Fe doing the same thing. That guy of course reacted similarly to myself, obviously blinded by this moron who is tailgating like mad and he brake checks him a couple of times and he's got nowhere to go, he's in a line of traffic that's skirted by another line of traffic.

Luckily as I hit my exit and these shenanigans were keeping up and this idiot was making basically everybody on the 401 irate an OPP came flying on the highway as I was leaving with his lights on in full pursuit mode, I assume somebody called it in and they were going to pull him over. These are an illegal mod and if they are obnoxious enough the driver WILL be fined for it under the HTA. I just wish they enforced it more than they do.

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here..

Its not that reflectors are so bad for hid lights
some subaru came with hid reflectors not projectors....

but putting HID or led in a housing designed for a halogen bulb will most likely give you really bad aiming pattern and blind people. Some cars are worse than others..

The even some OEM setups are bad.. for some reason alot of cadillac suv and ford trucks seem to be aimed really high for example.

these new retrofit kits are generally horrible you will be blinded by your own lights from the hotspots and see worse than the dimmer factory lights that dont blind anyone.

At the very least you need the integrated bulb tip reflectors. which many dont have as low beams bulbs come with silvered tips

sku_146676_1.jpg

vs

Can-Bus-17390.jpg

having the lighting source in a totally different location vs the halogen bulb you will have unpredictable and usually bad results.

I'd love to have LED headlights.. but there is a reason they come in their own specifically designed housings.. not as a retrofit to halogen type housings.

Last edited:
I put the halogen globes back in as these LED headlight globes are not bright enough. Each LED Globe (40w) Three LED chips fitted but the light out put is not good as the stock 55w H11 globes.
Thanks for all replies.
Cheers.
Bob.

"Hazard" LOL.

They don't focus properly. The light is too scattered annoying other drivers, and putting too much light down low where it fools the driver into thinking it's brighter but instead is causing the driver to not be able to see as far. That is why it's a hazard.
It's foolish to do this. And that is an understatement. A severe understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back