Best oil filter 2016 Subaru Legacy 3.6R H6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to buy a 6 pack of OEM Subaru filters and stick with the 6000 mile factory OCI. Can't go wrong there.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
What're these guys? Not sure if it is the right one for the appl. but it looks like a Fram. If I had a 2016 anything I wouldn't play with anything other than OE filters for at least five years.
http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters...baru+oil+filter

Back when Fram was under Honeywell, it was most definitely Fram-Honeywell. Honeywell sold Fram to the Rank Group so I don't know if OEM filters stayed with Fram or stayed with Honeywell or went to another group.

If you are thinking that you are getting a better product with an OEM branded filter, you might not be getting it. It is better than using non-spec filters but there are other brands (Wix) that offers the bypass and better efficiency. So...

And for those Fram folks, I would love to use the Ultra... once they match the higher bypass spec-ed for my vehicle

On the Subaru with the high bypass you are getting a Subaru tested filter. Technically any filter should work as the element is designed for the bypass setting, but if the oil pump has high flow potential, then maybe they don't want the bypass to be opening at every throttle blip so they put it high. In that case I would rather have a Subaru specified filter element than a more generic one that fits a lot of other cars. Even over a Wix copy of the specs. I know how dealers glom onto anything they can if there is a problem, justified or not. It would have to say tested and authorized by Subaru on the box for me to use it on a new car.
I remember the Subaru car when they first came out, I think it had a 2 cycle engine in the rear, how things change. I had a 2 cycle Saab that I put a quart of oil in every 8 gals of gas at fill up. Now when I am behind even an early 70's car I have to hold my breath and hope they move along somewhere else.

On the Subaru with the high bypass you are getting a Subaru tested filter. Technically any filter should work as the element is designed for the bypass setting, but if the oil pump has high flow potential, then maybe they don't want the bypass to be opening at every throttle blip so they put it high. In that case I would rather have a Subaru specified filter element than a more generic one that fits a lot of other cars. Even over a Wix copy of the specs. I know how dealers glom onto anything they can if there is a problem, justified or not. It would have to say tested and authorized by Subaru on the box for me to use it on a new car.
I remember the Subaru car when they first came out, I think it had a 2 cycle engine in the rear, how things change. I had a 2 cycle Saab that I put a quart of oil in every 8 gals of gas at fill up. Now when I am behind even an early 70's car I have to hold my breath and hope they move along somewhere else.

The Wix 57055 is a Subaru specific application. That is why I would use it for the 3.6 rather than the 51334.

I don't care about the name on the outside, it is the inside that counts... unless it is made in Fayetteville. Now, I would use black Subaru (japan made) over the blue filters (Canada/US made) if I was using the OEM filter. Wix 57055 Subaru specific with a higher beta (claimed). The Blue cans are built to Subaru spec, but the filtration is lack-luster and other filters are better. As with some recalls, just because it is a branded third-party item with the OEM logo does not mean it is always the best/better option

Fram brand stock filters are all high efficiency. There are rumors otherwise on OE clones. Rumor has it many OE filters are not efficient. I don't believe rumors so easily. I don't believe without better and more current data. I personally wouldn't use the Wix on a new car unless Subaru says it is compatible. They went to Fram for their filters, which says something. If they authorize, then the dealer cannot complain. The first thing they would do is point to that Wix filter and say that's the problem.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The Subaru OEM filter is still Fram made. No need to speculate.

No, not all of them. Here is the "blue" and "black" filter linked below. Blue is Honeywell, Black is Tokyo Roki. I still see the blues referred to as Honeywell

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2443769

Black filters are more robust.
61F8d%2Bcc6RL._SX450_.jpg

Here are the Canadian Honeywell (former Fram parent company) filters. Not sure if they are still produced but I see them enough to know they are still around (particularly online).
AustinSubaru-OilFilter.jpg

Then there is the US made blue filters. The "Frams" as they issued the recall a few years back, but subaru folks still call them Honeywells.
15208aa15a-2-liter-subaru-impreza-xv-oil-filter.jpg

Last edited:
Fram brand stock filters are all high efficiency. There are rumors otherwise on OE clones. Rumor has it many OE filters are not efficient. I don't believe rumors so easily. I don't believe without better and more current data. I personally wouldn't use the Wix on a new car unless Subaru says it is compatible. They went to Fram for their filters, which says something. If they authorize, then the dealer cannot complain. The first thing they would do is point to that Wix filter and say that's the problem.

Oh for the love that is a flat-four/six...

They can't require an owner to use "Fram" or the Subie filter to keep my warranty. That is just bonkers. The WIX meets the spec for the vehicle, simple as that. On top, it is a lot better built than the blue filter (black filter is strong). Between Wix and the Black filter (even that had bypass quirks) those are the preferred filter for a lot of Subaru owners. I am guessing you take new cars to the dealer for oil changes for the "warranty" too. Uggg

Here is the Orange Can. The fram-branded "Subaru" filter. It has some weird 96.2% efficiency rating listed other places with 95% but referring to different filters. The general agreement is that the 96.2% rating is likely at >40 microns. This is not uncommon with filters that are less restrictive (which subaru tends to opt towards since it is easier with the higher bypass). Heck, we know there are Purolators with poor efficiency in the same grouping. Still, if you enter your Subaru into the fram part finder, it will come back with the cross-fitting Acura, Gm, Honda, Mitzu, etc filter. Why would subaru opt for the Fram? My guess is that it meets the minimum and offers dealers to walk away with an extra $5 in profit.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH9715

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Oh for the love that is a flat-four/six...

They can't require an owner to use "Fram" or the Subie filter to keep my warranty. That is just bonkers. The WIX meets the spec for the vehicle, simple as that. On top, it is a lot better built than the blue filter (black filter is strong). Between Wix and the Black filter (even that had bypass quirks) those are the preferred filter for a lot of Subaru owners. I am guessing you take new cars to the dealer for oil changes for the "warranty" too. Uggg

Here is the Orange Can. The fram-branded "Subaru" filter. It has some weird 96.2% efficiency rating listed other places with 95% but referring to different filters. The general agreement is that the 96.2% rating is likely at >40 microns. This is not uncommon with filters that are less restrictive (which subaru tends to opt towards since it is easier with the higher bypass). Heck, we know there are Purolators with poor efficiency in the same grouping. Still, if you enter your Subaru into the fram part finder, it will come back with the cross-fitting Acura, Gm, Honda, Mitzu, etc filter. Why would subaru opt for the Fram? My guess is that it meets the minimum and offers dealers to walk away with an extra $5 in profit.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=PH9715

"General agreement" means it's a rumor. All stock Frams are synthetic blends and high efficiency filters, except the Ultra, even the EG. What I said is right. That's OK have on with your brand loyalty because you bought it. With a special requirement, you have to use factory authorized parts meeting the requirement to avoid warranty hassles, not aftermarket parts you personally think must meet it. Subaru went to Fram for their filters, not that it matters who they went to, but that is fact. I see no data the black filter is more robust, or any efficiency numbers, or anything making it better by looking at it from the outside, just it's made in Japan.

"General agreement" means it's a rumor. All stock Frams are synthetic blends and high efficiency filters, except the Ultra, even the EG. What I said is right. That's OK have on with your brand loyalty because you bought it. With a special requirement, you have to use factory authorized parts meeting the requirement to avoid warranty hassles, not aftermarket parts you personally think must meet it. Subaru went to Fram for their filters, not that it matters who they went to, but that is fact. I see no data the black filter is more robust, or any efficiency numbers, or anything making it better by looking at it from the outside, just it's made in Japan.

I provided the Beta for the blue can 50% at 22 and 95% at 40. If you have something that is different, feel free to share. Otherwise, the only rumor is you belief in the dealership.

Black
IMG_0109.jpg

Blue (FYI, it is paper, not synblend)
Honeywell_Subaru_15208_AA12_A_cut.jpg

You know that dealerships do not always use the blue filters... they use jobbers too. Even on warranty vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back