RYCO Z411 & Z411HE Cut open (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running the Z411 in my Honda CBR1100xx

Just wanted to share what I found and thought it may be helpful to others in Oz
as I could find little info

Both filters are the same except for the following I observed

ADBV is thicker in the HE version (stamped M20-Z456)
Filter media feels much thicker
Media area for both is 1540mm*55mm
the pressure valve is included in the metal end cap and not a separate item
The base plate is Anodized on the HE
The base seal is made Teflon coated gasket
The HE is stated to be 20 micron STD ???
Can send filter media if someone has a way of testing it ??
IMHO it look not too badly made

Last edited:
Hi Borgmage,

Welcome !!!

And thanks very much for cutting open these filters.

Yes there is not much info around about the Australian Ryco filters, but what little info there is, appears to be good. Thanks for adding some more info.

You know, I have never heard of the HE filters, so I went to the Ryco web site and found this:

"The Platinum High Efficiency range uses an updated media that achieves a greater flow to the engine. The trade-off for this added performance is that the service interval for Ryco Platinum High Efficiency Oil Filters is to be done at 5000 kilometre intervals.

The range includes: Z145AHE, Z154HE, Z160HE, Z386HE, Z411HE, Z418HE, Z432HE, Z436HE, Z516HE, Z79AHE & Z9HE. The manufacturers covered by this selection are Chrysler, Daewoo, Daihatsu, Fiat, Ford, Great Wall, Holden, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Proton, Subaru, Suzuki & Toyota.

* High Quality Silicon Anti-Drainback Valve where applicable.
** Removes 99% of contaminants based on ISO4548-12 at 20 micron max efficiency on Z9HE.
5000km service interval.
Not suitable for racing applications."

So, it looks like the HE is a high flow but short life filter. The standard filter is for longer OCI applications. Very Interesting.

Thanks SR5

I should of included some measurements

O.D 69.50mm
Height 86.00mm
Thread M20-x1.5

Similar to PL14610 in size

Z411 $10-$12
z411HE $16 to $18
In my neck of the woods

Which one do you plan to use on your CBR?

I couldn't find the filter % for the regular filter, but it sounds like the HE filter probably is better at 99%

I would use the HE for my bike and change every 5000 KM, and the regular for my car and change every 10,000 KM

Not sure what filter to go with, that how I ended up here

Hoping to get some advice
smile.gif

It's hard to be certain, as manufacturers are a bit cautious with their wording when comparing two products that they manufacture. They want to say this is good without implying that the other is bad. Since they make them both, and they both serve a purpose.

The way I see it.

HE filter
Pros: better oil flow, better filtration, better made
Cons: more expensive, short life (5000 KM), not for racing

So your oil change interval (OCI) will have a big say here, if you want to go longer than 5k-KM then use the standard filter, it looks fine.

What is your normal OCI?
How many KMs on the bike already & what year?

If I had a new bike and was running it in, I would use the HE filters and do short OCI (probably with a mineral oil). I think this is when the extra filtration would be needed most as you would have the most particles in the oil. Same with after a rebuilt. Once the bike was run in and all the parts bedded together nicely, then I would run the standard filter with a full synthetic oil and extend my OCI.

Penrite make a 15W40 high zinc running in mineral oil that is bike friendly.

But that's just me.

On my 2nd CBR the first did 240,000km before needing a set of rings.
The one I have now a 2006 purchased with 32,000 now at 45,000 have always run Shell helix ultra (fully synthetic).
OCI is 8,000 most of my riding is highway work as I'm not a fan of riding in the city.
Adl to Alice, Adl to BrisVegas or fun weekend Adl to Eucla.
I clock up 25-30,000km a year

As I have a HE will give it a go for 5000K
then crack it open see what I find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back