Engine (top) covers - your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory:
4BB6XgN.jpg

Wow. I'm speechless.

zzyzzx- man, you beat me to it. I had that same model LS, mine was even silver. It had a little flap to lift to add oil but otherwise they don't encourage you to mess around in there. It isn't an issue as most LS owners would have trouble even opening the hood. I imagine that cover and the shrouds helped make that the quietest car I've ever been in.

I took my Kia's top engine cover off so I could do an unimpeded visual check of the engine, which BTW I do everytime I use the car. Part of the preventive maintenance I practice seriously.

I think those engine covers look really cheap and cheesy. Imo it just adds to the already overly abundant cheap plastic [censored].

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory:
4BB6XgN.jpg

Brought to you by the same manufacturer that thought a commercial showing the hood being welded shut was a good image to convey...

I seem to recall a rash of complaints about noises surrounding direct injection.

I wonder if the covers were a response to FI noise complaints in engines?

I work for Lexus & can at least speak on the LS460 engine covers in the above pics. They direct airflow to reduce drag & reduce turbulence which causes noise inside the passenger cabin. The help keep air from underneath at high speeds from being pulled up into the engine area & keep it flowing out the back of the car. All the undercarriage heat shields are dimpled like a golf ball to reduce drag also

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I seem to recall a rash of complaints about noises surrounding direct injection.

I wonder if the covers were a response to FI noise complaints in engines?

That's exactly the reason why. But i'd rather listen to a diesel sounding GDi than look at an engine cover that muffles 10% of the sound.

Meh, I've never really had to deal with engine covers as none of my cars have them. Although my Fords have a small cover that goes over the throttle body, presumably to keep debris from getting in the throttle linkage and making it stick open. They're unobtrusive enough and easily removed with an 8 mm nut driver if they get in the way while servicing.

I thought one of the reasons was to allow air flow over the engine as well as noise reduction. I removed the one on my Mazda CX5 expecting to see a nice satin finished cylinder head and was greeted with a wade of black electrical wires, black electrical plugs and the like. Put the engine cover back on and it looks better. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I thought one of the reasons was to allow air flow over the engine as well as noise reduction.

I would think the lower engine cover is as much about directing airflow as it is about protection from debris and water. The upper engine cover I would think is mostly cosmetic. How much soundproofing can a hard plastic cover really offer? Granted, an engine cover may protect from ferrets and rodents gnawing the wiring and birds building nests.

On our Toyotas and Nissan, they are not just hard plastic. There is close to 1" of insulation, which presumably is for noise abatement.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I thought one of the reasons was to allow air flow over the engine as well as noise reduction.

I would think the lower engine cover is as much about directing airflow as it is about protection from debris and water. The upper engine cover I would think is mostly cosmetic. How much soundproofing can a hard plastic cover really offer? Granted, an engine cover may protect from ferrets and rodents gnawing the wiring and birds building nests.

How much soundproofing can a hard plastic cover really offer?

Quite a lot, actually. Especially if its more than just "hard plastic," but is actually a plastic resin with the right flexibility and some particulate matter (metallic or otherwise) blended in and some foam sound deadener on the back side. At the higher frequencies of sound that your usual top-end parts make (lifters, fuel injectors, cam chains) its pretty easy to suppress a lot of noise with a relatively thin layer of a lossy material like a loaded plastic.

Even the relatively rudimentary cover on my old M60 engine makes a noticeable difference in the cabin, especially with injector noise.

An ugly engine is in need of cover, a beautiful engine is needed to be displayed to show off the designer's works.

You rather see this

4BB6XgN.jpg

Or this

2013-ferrari-f12berlinetta-63-liter-v12-engine-photo-467163-s-1280x782.jpg

Clearly, but knowing that I might not hear the faintest hickups would make me all paranoid!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
On our Toyotas and Nissan, they are not just hard plastic. There is close to 1" of insulation, which presumably is for noise abatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back