Warren introduces first API 0W-16 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Warren Oil Company, Inc., one of North American’s largest independent lubricant manufacturers, is pleased to announce its LubriGold SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is the first API approved 0W-16 passenger car motor oil in the market."

LubriGold 0W-16

Tom NJ

The diet oil.
Does this make 20 weight officially an oil that is too thick?
As long as the oil film is thicker than the dirt, it should work as well as anything.

The thinner the oil, the more time the engine spends in boundary lubrication conditions. Any spec sheets on this oil? Sounds great for a winter Canadian or Alaskan oil.

Warren oil has to be one of the best blenders in the industry. I'm very surprised to see them to be the first one out with a certified product.

This shows that they have been working on developing it for a while. 0w16 will be the new 0w20 in 10 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Warren oil has to be one of the best blenders in the industry. I'm very surprised to see them to be the first one out with a certified product.

This shows that they have been working on developing it for a while. 0w16 will be the new 0w20 in 10 years.

They just bought a recipe and materials form Lubrizol, Afton, Oronite, or Infineum. Anybody know which? Base oil could come from SOPUS, XOM, and I don't know who else.
I would say Warren has hero status, but they just blend.

Why be different and not just make a 0w-15 kinda messes with my OCD.
smile.gif

Are Honda apps coming? The great proponent of light oils?

I couldn't even run the light 20 grade Idemitsu/Subaru 0w-20 without EXCESSIVE engine noise and NO fuel mileage benefit.

Note: There are a few "Warren"s out there. This is NOT WPp or WNE, IIRC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
"Warren Oil Company, Inc., one of North American’s largest independent lubricant manufacturers, is pleased to announce its LubriGold SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is the first API approved 0W-16 passenger car motor oil in the market EXCEPT for the Ravenol 0w-16 out several months ago."

Originally Posted By: wemay
Ravenol already has a 0W-16 on the market...

Don't worry, I corrected Warren's quote. All good now. We got this.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
"Warren Oil Company, Inc., one of North American’s largest independent lubricant manufacturers, is pleased to announce its LubriGold SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is the first API approved 0W-16 passenger car motor oil in the market EXCEPT for the Ravenol 0w-16 out several months ago."

Originally Posted By: wemay
Ravenol already has a 0W-16 on the market...

Don't worry, I corrected Warren's quote. All good now. We got this.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Why be different and not just make a 0w-15 kinda messes with my OCD.
smile.gif

Ow-16.7 would be better for I am with the thicker oil crowd.

The thinner the oil, the more time the engine spends in boundary lubrication conditions.

Not necessarily and only if the oil is being operated at temperatures above it's design limit which will not be the case in engines for which the grade is specified.

I would like to see the PDS on this oil as well but if it's anything like the Ravenol 0W-16 (VI 156) it likely will not be a very high VI oil like the Japanese OEMs. Meaning oils like TGMO and MGMO 0W-20s will still be much lighter on start-up so what's being gained in giving up 0.1-.0.2cP of HTHSV? Not much if anything.

When the first Japanese OEM makes available a 0W-16 for the NA market now that will be interesting.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The thinner the oil, the more time the engine spends in boundary lubrication conditions.

Not necessarily and only if the oil is being operated at temperatures above it's design limit which will not be the case in engines for which the grade is specified.

You would be right if cam lobes and all the bearings/rings increased their surface area, which is true to some extent maybe. The one car I know of that can use this oil, Honda Fit, might be doing that, I'm not sure. I'm going to rely on the internet here for someone to inform me of how much the bearing surface areas (all) increased to lower the load pressure for lighter oils because I can't find that info. GF-6B emphasizes more boundary lube.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
The diet oil.
Does this make 20 weight officially an oil that is too thick?

To heck with 16W - TOO thin!!! I'll stick with my thicker 20WT no matter what the spec for my car is!

You experts that live in a cold climate can try this 16 weight oil and let us know how it works. It's going to be a while before the early adopters discover if this is a good choice.

... SAE 0W-16 Full Synthetic Motor Oil...

Is "synthetic" redundant in this statement? I thought it's not possible or practical to make 0W motor oil out of conventional oil. Too volatile.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

You would be right if cam lobes and all the bearings/rings increased their surface area, which is true to some extent maybe. The one car I know of that can use this oil, Honda Fit, might be doing that, I'm not sure. I'm going to rely on the internet here for someone to inform me of how much the bearing surface areas (all) increased to lower the load pressure for lighter oils because I can't find that info. GF-6B emphasizes more boundary lube.

Forget about heavy oils like the 0W-16 grade! Cars like the Honda Fit, Insight etc are already running on a 0W-12 equivalent oil grade if not a 0W-8 in Japan.
Check out the VOA on the Honda ULTRA Next below:

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3709766/1

Now this is a seriously light oil with a KV100 of 5.1cSt and a spectacularly low KV40 of only 21.8cSt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back