Oil for perpetually short-trip Ford Coyote 5.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a condo we keep on South Beach, where we spend our weekends or longer at times, and the whole place is very unsuited for a large vehicle. It's mostly due to all of the parallel parking in undersized spaces. I decided we should get a small car to drive down there and use while we are spending our time there.

My girl was set on picking up a Mini Cooper, and I wanted to pick up '70 Nova with an LS swap. We settled on an ASC McLaren drop top Mercury Capri with a modern Coyote 5.0 engine, as used in a modern day 5.0 Mustang.

Most of the area is under a 35mph speed limit, and the car will be used for very local trips in the Miami Beach area most of the time. My question is, is any special consideration necessary where oil selection is concerned, or can I just dump in any good 5W20 and stick to short OCIs?

If it's got the oil life monitor just follow it.

What a cool car. Is it fuel injected or is there a carb capable manifold out now for these kinds of swaps.
Must be a blast to drive.

If it had an oil life monitor you could follow it but if not you'll probably want to change it based on time maybe every couple of years.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability should do the trick

Hmmm, had to look that one up and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XV73f9d-Lg

At the end the guy holds up a for sale sign with all the specs on it. Not sure about miles either.

Pennzoil Ultra would be my vote.
thumbsup2.gif

yea, it depends on your decision on how you want to do maintenance.
At this point it's more about general checkups rather then just the oil.

I personally have a similar garage car, but it gets taken in once a year to the quick change that does an honest job. So it gets bulk conventional for a 2000/year.

The is because the place also Washes the car, tires get air, wiper fluid filled up, and so on.

You're living the dream. The only thing I can say about using 5w-20, is get a synthetic, you certainly don't want it to shear at all. Not a fan of these thin oils and I think they are mainly recommended to pass CAFE standards rather than being what's best for the engine. Personally I'd probably use 10w-30 in a warm climate such as Florida.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If it's got the oil life monitor just follow it.

What a cool car. Is it fuel injected or is there a carb capable manifold out now for these kinds of swaps.
Must be a blast to drive.

No, we're going to go full factory fuel injection crate engine. I got defeated on any "**** you'll be tinkering with all the time".
grin.gif

I do want the full function of the VVT system and the better drivability. Tunability as well.

Quote:
If it had an oil life monitor you could follow it but if not you'll probably want to change it based on time maybe every couple of years.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability should do the trick

Dunno yet whether or not OLM functionality can be maintained or not. Definitely a good idea. I suppose anything can be done using a factory computer and harness arrangement.

Quote:
Hmmm, had to look that one up and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XV73f9d-Lg

At the end the guy holds up a for sale sign with all the specs on it. Not sure about miles either.

Pennzoil Ultra would be my vote. thumbsup

I've had my brain in the same place. We're going to find a good, mint, factory example and have it converted. Buying someone else's conversion was voted against lol.

Quote:
What a rarity

A bubble back Capri (Fox bodied Mustang, not euro Capri)

And a factory ASC convertible one at that

http://www.ascmclaren.com/capripics.htm

We're gonna need pictures

Will when we get it. The search has only begun, and then the work.
wink.gif

Quote:
^

The one that got away...

smile

Yeah, I know. The only way I won the muscle/pony car battle was to put drop-top on the table. Failed to convince her that a Shelby Cobra replica would be just as good.
smile.gif

Quote:
yea, it depends on your decision on how you want to do maintenance.
At this point it's more about general checkups rather then just the oil.

I personally have a similar garage car, but it gets taken in once a year to the quick change that does an honest job. So it gets bulk conventional for a 2000/year.

The is because the place also Washes the car, tires get air, wiper fluid filled up, and so on.

I suppose just pulling the trigger on a good oil and UOA'ing to figure things out would not be a bad idea.

Quote:
You're living the dream. The only thing I can say about using 5w-20, is get a synthetic, you certainly don't want it to shear at all. Not a fan of these thin oils and I think they are mainly recommended to pass CAFE standards rather than being what's best for the engine. Personally I'd probably use 10w-30 in a warm climate such as Florida.

5w20 in my Navigator has been spectacular, so if it does as well in the Coyote, I'm all for it. Only thing my 5.4 3V didn't like about it was the phaser rattle. That's not the oil's fault, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back