2016 Automobiles Equiped With Alcohol Beathaylzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have most of that now. It's called a taxi. The taxi driver can see to most of those functions for us.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
On a grander scale, I hear lots of people clamoring for cars to do this, that, and the other. People want their car to:

- disable cellphone use while driving
- find some way to sense kids locked in a hot car, and free them
- allow internet use
- sense rain to automatically turn wipers on
- tell them what their tire pressure is
- (I'm sure there's more)

And now someone is asking their car to tell them when they're drunk!

How about having a car that simply takes you from point A to point B?... without loading it with expensive sensors and electronics, which are destined to require repair sometime during the life of the car.

All prior discussions about nanny devices and personal responsibility apply here.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
How about having a car that simply takes you from point A to point B?... without loading it with expensive sensors and electronics, which are destined to require repair sometime during the life of the car.
A grander idea is for people to actually take responsibility as well as consequences for their actions and stop having the remainder of the population shoulder the burden. Drunk driving should not be allowed period--and the consequences for doing so should be much higher than they currently are.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's not well known but a lot of places can get an OUI conviction with .04 or .05 and additional supporting info, like flunking the field sobriety test.

That applies up here, too. That why there are two separate offences, one of exceeding 0.08, and another of impaired driving. One can be charged with one or both, but only convicted of one, for obvious reasons.

A lot of Holier than Thou in this thread, but whatever.

In '86, I had a brother dress up in his cap and gown, gave me a big ol hug, walked out the door to his high school graduation..
The next time I saw him he was in a casket.

Yup, drunk driver.

While I don't agree with the "lose your license forever; or 10 years for first offense" talk; I will agree that:

What you are doing is [censored] stupid and putting everyone around you at risk. Go to AA, get yourself a sponsor, start working the steps and put down the [censored] sauce.

Do yourself a favor. You'll thank me in a year.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I find it interesting that shaming seems popular when consequences are the preferred, but costly, option.

Here:

0.08%
1st offence mandatory jail up to 6 months, 1-year license suspension, and a fine. Penalty can be reduced to 3 months jail / 6 months suspension if Alcohol Awareness Program is completed.

Not all that many years ago the cutoff was 0.10% with anything lower not a violation. How do we justify going from something that used to be perfectly legal (ie BAC of 0.09%) to something with a mandatory jail sentence?

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
How do we justify going from something that used to be perfectly legal (ie BAC of 0.09%) to something with a mandatory jail sentence?

Lots of things that are currently illegal were once perfectly legal. Almost every drug started out as perfectly legal, particularly upon their discovery. Slavery was legal at one time, too.

Not all that many years ago the cutoff was 0.10% with anything lower not a violation. How do we justify going from something that used to be perfectly legal (ie BAC of 0.09%) to something with a mandatory jail sentence?

Research and observations of continued DWI accidents, injuries, and deaths when people are intoxicated below 0.1%.

I driving drunk a serious issue in this country, yes. Do people die when drunk drivers drive drunk, yes.

The problem is that if they put everyone in jail that did get a DUI/DWI, the jails would be full. Is this because our justice system is too lenient on drunk drivers? Maybe.

My idea would be this for drunk drivers.

First offense with no wrecks, injuries to others, or fatalities.
One year suspended drivers license, $10,000 fine, 80 hours community service.

First offense with accident, no injuries or fatalities.
Three years suspended drivers license, $10,000 fine, 120 hours community service.

First offense with accident and injuries to others.
Three years suspended drivers license, $10,000 fine, 200 hours community service.

First offense with accident and fatalities to others.
Five years suspended drivers license after prison release, felony manslaughter charges

With really stiff penalties drunk driving should decrease.

Not all that many years ago the cutoff was 0.10% with anything lower not a violation.

Not sure how your state works but the ones I've lived in can get an OUI conviction with under the statutory limit. Either with drugs in the system, flunking a field sobriety test, or other tools of the cops. They (rarely) convicted OUIs before Breathalyzers were invented, and could have convicted a .09.

The statutory limit is just a "no ifs, ands, or buts" cap beyond which, you're screwed.

What frosts me is how commercial drivers have to stay under .04 and youths under .00 or .02. Is the number scientifically derived or is it not? It's like .08 is a loophole that 90% of drivers can access.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
They say that most likely crime the average citizen will commit is a DUI. Domestic violence follows a close second. The insurance rates across the board would go down with a mandatory "blow and go" ignition lock. Heck, I had one for 9 months and realize that it is a safety device just like a seat belt.

Apparently, you are the type of person that should have one permanently installed....

They say that most likely crime the average citizen will commit is a DUI. Domestic violence follows a close second. The insurance rates across the board would go down with a mandatory "blow and go" ignition lock. Heck, I had one for 9 months and realize that it is a safety device just like a seat belt.
The most likely traffic related crime is a speeding, parking, or running a red light ticket--not a DUI. OP - you need to get yourself some help, unless of course, you are simply trolling all of us.

Daves, I spent close to 2 decades in a criminal courtroom. Where is the outcry for violent crime victims? I'm talking about violent domestic abuse, narcotics, organized crime, ect....... In 2012, they gave me a DUI. I'm an ex-officer of the court. I am amazed that they prosecute for this nonsense.

Why? It's simple- you CAN kill with it. So it can become one of the mentioned above......

All those mentioned, including the DUI, can go from small to big in a hurry....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back