2016 Automobiles Equiped With Alcohol Beathaylzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Drunk driving is real crime deserving of having your picture in the paper shaming you for your poor decision.

And bright orange license plates!

189217903_46eb8bcde3.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Drunk driving is real crime deserving of having your picture in the paper shaming you for your poor decision.

189217903_46eb8bcde3.jpg

That is a great idea. I would prefer it to say "drunk driver" on the plate and maybe require a sticker on the front and rear windscreens that says "convicted drunk driver" for as long as they still drive.

FWIW when customers bring in cars with a blow and go, we make them stay at the dealer and blow into it whenever we need to start the car. One of our techs would call and have it disabled during service, but he is no longer employed. What is funny is when the service writer will say on the overhead "Customer XXX please come to service, we need you to blow into your breathalyzer to start your vehicle" so literally everyone can hear.

A picture in my paper??? Isn't that a crime? The local paper has the local mug shots that I'm sure people snicker at. Of course, you are not convicted of a crime. I'm an old man at who has worked the law for 20+ years. Sadly, I worked in narcotics and various "moral turpitude" crimes. I witnessed police lying on the stand.

bd, that should be illegal. Why should law enforcement have any indication of a DUI or even sex offender??? Do you guys even understand real criminal law??

A DUI should result in revocation of driving privileges
for at least five years, and not only that you CANNOT operate ANY MOTORIZED VEHICLE (including motorcycles, ATVs, golf carts, ect) for that same period whether it requires a license or not.

If you end up causing a death, mandatory prison time of at least 15 years with no early parole. Serious injuries will result in jail time of 7 years with no early parole.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

189217903_46eb8bcde3.jpg

Party plates!

Originally Posted By: buck91
What will revoking driving privileges do? Do you know how many people we run who crash without a license?

Someone might take it seriously. The public shaming is real fun to do. A former friend was convicted of a few DUIs and whenever my friends and I saw him at a bar talking to a girl we would walk up and tell her about his irresponsibility. BTW I hung out at bars with friends a lot, but I cut myself off at 1 beer and drank soda the rest of the night.

bd, you would seem like a real buzz kill at the party. In my neighborhood a fellow would be "getting down" with a young lady.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I figure since I accepted that DUI is a serious issue in the U.S., why they don't install mandatory .BAC devices in all new vehicles? I assume the new car owners would get a nice car insurance break. If someone argues they don't drink, I would argue that I don't get into accidents yet I'm required to wear a seat belt.

I hate to break this to you, but this is America in 2015, not East Germany in 1966...

You can't have it both way. East Germany circas 50's is a fine idea. However, we are talking about prosecuting middle aged folks who go out to the "big city" and have a cocktail or two. Mandatory ignition locks is the real answer.

I find it interesting that shaming seems popular when consequences are the preferred, but costly, option.

Here:
0.01%
[Probationary License]:
Revert to 1st stage of graduated license (2-year) with any amount of blood alcohol

[Full License]:
0.05%
24 hour suspension on the spot.

0.08%
1st offence mandatory jail up to 6 months, 1-year license suspension, and a fine. Penalty can be reduced to 3 months jail / 6 months suspension if Alcohol Awareness Program is completed.

2nd offence: Mandatory 6 months jail, 2-year license suspension, fine.

3rd Offence: Mandatory 1 year jail, 5 year license suspension, fine.

5th offence: Mandatory 2 years jail, Lifetime Driving Ban, fine.

All of the above: Can be sentenced to up to 5 years jail.

Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm: Same Penalty as Manslaughter; Up to life in prison.
Impaired Driving Causing Death: Same penalty as murder: Minimum Life in Prison, 10~25 year Parole Ineligible.

Driving while Suspended: Same penalty as DUI

Note: There is no "Good Behaviour" in Canada; A year = A year incarceration.
Parole: Effective for the Duration of the sentence; ie if convicted of Impaired Driving Causing Death and released on parole, will remain on parole for life.

Notes:

US Resident entering Canada: Anyone convicted of DUI, regardless of the penalty received in the US, is Inadmissible.

Currently Distracted Driving has overtaken Impaired Driving as the #1 cause of auto accidents and auto fatalities.

I spent most of my life defending AND prosecuting criminals. I spend the early 90's in courtroom 302. I prosecuted real criminals. You know what felony narcotic cases are? You know what a class X is? Real criminals, that sell "jabs" off Chicago Ave. A "jab" is like a supermarket sale 12 for 10. The police know it and accept it. I like servicing my own cars so I found this web site.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I figure since I accepted that DUI is a serious issue in the U.S., why they don't install mandatory .BAC devices in all new vehicles? I assume the new car owners would get a nice car insurance break. If someone argues they don't drink, I would argue that I don't get into accidents yet I'm required to wear a seat belt.

I hate to break this to you, but this is America in 2015, not East Germany in 1966...

You must consider he's from Chicago, however.

Also:
If convicted of Impaired Driving, a further penalty applies to pilots; eg: pilot's license suspended 2 years for first offence of exceeding BAC of 0.08%.

"Impaired" refers to any impairment, eg Drugs. The proof varies from Alcohol but penalties are the same.

Driving Bans apply to any and all motor-assisted vehicle. For example you cannot operate Garden Tractors, Outboard Motors, Motorized Wheelchairs, motor-equipped bicycles, etc.

Penalty for refusing to provide a sample is identical to a conviction for DUI.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
A DUI should result in revocation of driving privileges
for at least five years, and not only that you CANNOT operate ANY MOTORIZED VEHICLE (including motorcycles, ATVs, golf carts, ect) for that same period whether it requires a license or not.

If you end up causing a death, mandatory prison time of at least 15 years with no early parole. Serious injuries will result in jail time of 7 years with no early parole.

A little extreme since DUI is determined by an exact # via a breathalyer or opinion of arresting officers. If you cause an accident at 0.07, you're home free, even though we all know you're partially impaired. At 0.08, you get the book thrown at you and 15 yrs in prison? Doesn't make sense to me. And the guy who decides to drive to work for night shift on no sleep the day before is not a problem? Why not 15 yrs for that guy? He's actually made a worse choice than the drunk who doesn't have all their faculties working.

A much bigger source of accidents and deaths is distracted driving of all sorts. A huge % of the driving populace is guilty of this. It can range from lack of sleep, phone use, reaching for some food or drink, being engrossed in your favorite music, day dreaming, to checking your hair in the rear view mirror or talking to the person in the back seat with a brief head turn. Why not have a distracted driving monitor in our cars as well? Once you hit the programmed limit of miscues your car gives you a 1 minute warning to pull over before it cuts off the fuel. That would save a lot more lives than a breathalyzer....and tick off a majority of drivers. Sure drunk driving is a problem that should be addressed. So what about the bigger problem of driving while distracted (DWD)? It's surely worthy of being a "crime" just as much as drunk driving.

The real issue is bad driving behaviors of all sorts...of which drunk driving is one tiny part.

johnny, while I like your stats, please stick to U.S. laws.

Why? My location is clearly indicated, and I am sure US residents would rather learn they can't enter Canada with a DUI conviction on this forum, rather than at the Airport in Toronto.

These nonsense threads continue to pollute this site trying to justify alcoholism and drunk driving. Trolls need to be banned and threads deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back