2002 Toyota XLE V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 02 toyota XLE v6 with 102,000 miles. This car has had regular maintenance and runs very well. I have heard that some of the 3.0 v6 have been prone to have sludge problems. What kind of OCI would you all recommend? Synthetic or conventional? Thank you.

What type of driving do you do? Short trips should have shorter OCI's. If you car gets up to temp regularly you should be able to go 7500 miles or so on synthetic and be ok (unless your owners manual says otherwise). To be honest, if I had your car I would do 5K OCI's with either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 and call it a day.

It'll be driven by my daughter to and from school. probably about 10 miles each way.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
What type of driving do you do? Short trips should have shorter OCI's. If you car gets up to temp regularly you should be able to go 7500 miles or so on synthetic and be ok (unless your owners manual says otherwise). To be honest, if I had your car I would do 5K OCI's with either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 and call it a day.

I agree. Synthetic every 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I disagree.

It seems like some myths never die.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I disagree.

It seems like some myths never die.
It doesn't sound like the car is driven much. 10 miles twice a day? If it were my car I would stretch it out further, but then again I've put 3,400 miles on my car in the last 1.5 months.

I'll be doing a 10,000 mile OCI in my car, but I have a more ideal driving pattern than the OP's car, and an engine that isn't so prone to sludge.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
I believe Toyota had remedied the sludge in 02 V6.
Sludge years were 97-02

I just sold last year at this time my 2002 with the V6 . It had 224000 miles. Never burned oil, used Valvoline dino. The only oil incident I had with it was at 210000 miles was a stuck PCV valve. So check the PCV. I started with 4000 mi oil change when the car was new and as a the oil standards got better moved up to 6000 mi interval at the end. I suspect 6000 mi interval is low for a well kept engine for these vehicles with the new oils

If it were me, I'd probably do Maxlife syn blend or possibly PYB for 5k (most likely course for me in a sludge-prone motor), or the cheapest syn available at the time (possibly M1, PP, or even Supertech) for 7500 or so, give or take.

I'd do a fresh PCV valve and 5k synthetic change's to "feel the water" if you will for how this engine was maintained in it's life before you

Not all of them sludge or burn oil, but test the waters with your used one to be sure...

Originally Posted By: Paladin
It'll be driven by my daughter to and from school. probably about 10 miles each way.

In that case you'd be better off doing Chevron Supreme every 2500 miles.

Do you get a chance to inspect the car regularly? If so, any cheap dino (Supertech) & filter with a 5k OCI will work as long as YOU are keeping it topped off. If she's away at college, I'd be inclined to use MaxLife Blend. If you trust her to keep it topped off and supply her with a spare quart or two, then go ahead and use Synthetic and extend your OCI. As I always stress - especially with cars for kids - keeping the oil topped off is way more important than actually changing it.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
So what design feature of this motor causes sludge?
I believe Toyota enlarged the drains in the head so that oil could drain back to the pan faster. I think the OEM also increased coolant flow through the heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back