Carbon fouled plugs and starting fluid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Just curious about something. I've had this 92 Nissan Sentra on my property for two years. I've just about gave up on. Mainly because it was not my car. Long story.

The engine will run on starter fluid if I spray it into the brake booster hose and plug it off at the throttle body and will idle for three second then die.

Best I can remember from two years ago:

1) Engine ~ 90# to 100# of compression (220,000 miles on the motor)
2) Has spark
3) Has 40 lbs of fuel pressure

I cannot get the OBD I to flash any codes using the paper clip/check engine light method nor can I find any LED on the side of the ECU in order to start looking.

I initially thought perhaps the injectors were not firing (since it will run on starter fluid) but what's weird is if I remember, even after excessive cranking, the plugs were wet. So if it's getting fire and it's getting fuel then why won't it start? 90 lbs of compression too low?

My question is can a spark plug be too "fouled" to run on gasoline but will run on starting fluid (ether)?

I'm wondering if a petrol engine running off ether is like a diesel effect. Because ether is so volatile. Meaning it's the compression of the engine that ignites the ether and not the spark plugs themselves.

The reason I wonder sometimes I'll wet the plugs on my 2 stroker Trabant. Especially if I get overzealous with the manual choke or it's really cold outside. Hopefully the new battery cables will fix that this winter. If I give it a shot of ether, the car will start. So I'm thinking the same theory applies to carbon fouled plugs on this Nissan.

Maybe the first thing I should have done was changed the plugs. Or bead blasted the carbon off of them.

Of course once I get the engine running, now I have to figure out why the plugs fouled but since this car appears to have not had much maintenance, they could be just old plugs.

Well I've wondered if the engine has jumped time. If the spark plugs don't fix the problem, I guess I could pull the timing belt cover and see if the marks align. But would it still run on ether but not gasoline?

IIRC ether is more volatile than petrol so should help it run for a few seconds..

Sure fuel filter and injectors are ok? Checked that the spark is strong and bright?

Unless there's an enormous vac leak or a problem with the immobiliser, I can only imagine it being spark, fuel, compression or timing

Originally Posted By: Olas
IIRC ether is more volatile than petrol so should help it run for a few seconds..

Sure fuel filter and injectors are ok? Checked that the spark is strong and bright?

Unless there's an enormous vac leak or a problem with the immobiliser, I can only imagine it being spark, fuel, compression or timing

I tested the fuel pressure while cranking at the fuel rail so I would imagine 40 lbs of fuel pressure would be sufficient to at least idle.

I can't remember if I tested for spark by holding the lead to the engine or by touching the actual spark plug to the engine.

I'm going to give the spark plugs a good bead blasting tomorrow and see what happens.

Pull the plugs and crank it and see what the gas smells like. It should smell fine. I bet it's off, or non existant.

The wet plugs are probably what's left of "gas" that doesn't evaporate. "Gas" is a crude mix of several hydrocarbons, including a little "muck".

I'd rig up a remote start under the hood so you can crank it there, start it on ether, and rev as much as you can in those 3 seconds. Might cut something loose.

There'll be a fuel pressure test valve, bleed some "gas" and see if it's any good.

But if it was parked 2 years ago with problems, now you have problems and bad gas.

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124
Well I've wondered if the engine has jumped time. If the spark plugs don't fix the problem, I guess I could pull the timing belt cover and see if the marks align. But would it still run on ether but not gasoline?

yes it could. I've had a hyundai in recently where the exhaust and intake valves opened and closed at almost the same time and it was possible to run on brake degreaser.

Low compression points to wrong timing.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Check for codes

ECU is to the right of the accelerator pedal

Two methods from there

Use the screw

http://www.nissanforums.com/b13-91-94-ch...e=1442682069339

Or using the pedal

http://forums.nicoclub.com/1992-se-r-check-engine-light-t218217.html

I tried the pedal method and it did not work. Unless I did it incorrectly.

I can't find this LED or screw on the ECU. However I think I may have found it. I think the bracket is covering it up. So tommorrow I will remove the ECU from the bracket.

OH yeah. I beadblasted the plugs but the car still won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back