AC Delco E-core filter durability/reliability ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
with a new vehicle comes the search for fluids & filters for DIY service...after reading lots of posts about filter failures I am not sure which brand/style to go with; I am seeking feedback about AC Delco E-core filters...the PF 48/48E are referenced for my '15 Jeep Patriot; please tell me about E-cores...thanks

Lipstick on a pig, it is still an E-Core filter I would have nothing to do with when better for the same cost can be had.

I do know on the earlier ecores that the plastic cage spacing was too wide. On the later ecores, the cage spacing is tighter now. Just looking it over, and taking Champ Labs word, it does look like to me it would flow better than the small holes metal tube design.

If you look at an ecore closely on the business end, you will see that it has eight intake holes. Under those eight intake holes is another 12 or so smaller holes that are smaller than the 8 larger holes. The adbv sits on top of those smaller holes. Also the smaller holes are offset from the big 8 holes. I think the offset design could be used to reduce pressure like when I step on the gas hard. Just a guess.

Anyway, I have an ACDelco PF52E ecore going on next oil change soon. I bought two, and I cut one open to take a look, and both end caps are glued on just fine. I counted a total of 61 pleats, so it does not lack in pleat count. I think it will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Give it a try, I'm sure your jeep can't tell the difference. I use ac delco ecores without issue

Sensible answer. Ecores are fine, been using them for years since the Super-tech days. This is one of my used ecores. Looks a lot better than any purolator I ever cut open.

The PF48 used to be $4 and change a year ago. Now they can't be found anywhere, only PF48E. And the PF48E are running for like $8. I'm using a Fram Ultra for the same price as the Ecore. The Ecore is only enticing when its $3 or $4.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Give it a try, I'm sure your jeep can't tell the difference. I use ac delco ecores without issue

Sensible answer. Ecores are fine, been using them for years since the Super-tech days. This is one of my used ecores. Looks a lot better than any purolator I ever cut open.

You can sorta see where the media was starting to poke through the cage. The endcap was wrapped over the leaf spring.

Last edited:
keep in mind one of the best oil filters ever made (toyota 90915-20004 filter) was esssentially an ecore design (plastic housing) around a dept media type filter element. I think the Ecore filters are fine. I would have no issues using an ecore filter on any of my trucks.
There are filters today that don't even have an internal structure.. The OEM Toyota Filter for my Tundra is just a paper element with some hardened glue on the top and bottom. There is absolutely no metal or plastic housing.
The issue people have with ecore filters reminds me of the aversion so many people had with the OCOD "paper" end-caps. Now there are hundreds of different style filters being produced without any endcaps.
you are always going to have failures in anything that is mass prodcued, but I'm not sure you can really nail all those failures to poor design/materials.

Originally Posted By: Hessam

There are filters today that don't even have an internal structure.. The OEM Toyota Filter for my Tundra is just a paper element with some hardened glue on the top and bottom.

Must be a cartridge filter, and the "center tube" is built into the cartridge housing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

There are filters today that don't even have an internal structure.. The OEM Toyota Filter for my Tundra is just a paper element with some hardened glue on the top and bottom.

Must be a cartridge filter, and the "center tube" is built into the cartridge housing.

right my tundra takes the long cartridge filter. toyota part# 04152-YZZA4

if a cartridge filter works fine in a fixed metal housing, why would it have issues in a spin-on metal canister? Does the metal canister exert more pressure differential on the filter element?

if a cartridge filter works fine in a fixed metal housing, why would it have issues in a spin-on metal canister? Does the metal canister exert more pressure differential on the filter element?

No, the delta-p across the filter isn't dependent on if it's in a cartridge housing or inside a metal can. The delta-p is caused by the oil flow.

The eCore filters in the spin-ons that had problems was because the center cage windows were too large and the media was not spaced nice and tight. Pleats would flatten out on the large window and then blow through.

The question should be asked whether oil flow was an issue to begin with. I suspect it never was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back