mobil super synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great to hear. I just bought a case of the 10W-30 at NAPA, they had it for $3.99/qt which seemed pretty reasonable.

I just put M1 in the Explorer. I wonder what the true difference is between the two? Maybe it's almost identical stuff but only the M1 carries a warranty?

Originally Posted By: Fordai
I just put M1 in the Explorer. I wonder what the true difference is between the two? Maybe it's almost identical stuff but only the M1 carries a warranty?

If you look at the PQIA test on synthetic 5w-30 oils, there appears to be some significant differences in the additive packs. M1 is clearly a better oil based on TBN, VI, and NOACK %, but MSS is a solid product for the price.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Last edited:
It would be nice to get an explanation of what base stock blend is used as the Super syn has an interesting add package.

Not surprised MSS runs quiet for you it features a boron heavy add pack and those typically do.

Very similar to Kendall GT-1 (without the titanium) in PQIA list, boron and all. Just an observation.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

If you look at the PQIA test on synthetic 5w-30 oils, there appears to be some significant differences in the additive packs. M1 is clearly a better oil based on TBN, VI, and NOACK %, but MSS is a solid product for the price.

They don't seem all that different though, only in the D5293 Viscosity @-30° C mPa, Calcium (Ca), ppm, Magnesium, (Mg), ppm, and Boron (B), ppm areas are there significant differences.

I imagine the Super Syn would hold up just fine for my 5,000 mile OCIs and it would also provide a roughly $20 cost savings, more than paying for the M1 oil filter at $12.99.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Not surprised MSS runs quiet for you it features a boron heavy add pack and those typically do.

+1 im convinced that MSS and Amsoil OE could pass for twins based on PQIA testing.

This is a complete guess, based on no facts, but would it be possible the M1 is group 3 + group 4, while MSS is pure group 3. ??

I've seen a few posts firmly state that M1 has PAO in it. Plus there are many group 3 only full synthetics on the market. So MSS could be Mobil's entry in the pure group 3 market. Big companies like to have all options covered.

Nothing wrong with a pure group 3, especially if the price is right. Isn't SynPower a pure group 3 as well? I buy that because it's much cheaper than the PAO based M1 and Castrol Edge. If I was entering an endurance race, I would probably upgrade to a PAO based synthetic.

Originally Posted By: hydrogen3
SynPower is a good oil. Use with confidence.

This^^^

Originally Posted By: SR5
This is a complete guess, based on no facts, but would it be possible the M1 is group 3 + group 4, while MSS is pure group 3. ??

I've seen a few posts firmly state that M1 has PAO in it. Plus there are many group 3 only full synthetics on the market. So MSS could be Mobil's entry in the pure group 3 market. Big companies like to have all options covered.

Nothing wrong with a pure group 3, especially if the price is right. Isn't SynPower a pure group 3 as well? I buy that because it's much cheaper than the PAO based M1 and Castrol Edge. If I was entering an endurance race, I would probably upgrade to a PAO based synthetic.

Synpower is a mix of group III, group IV etc. it is not entirely group III.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

They don't seem all that different though, only in the D5293 Viscosity @-30° C mPa, Calcium (Ca), ppm, Magnesium, (Mg), ppm, and Boron (B), ppm areas are there significant differences.

I imagine the Super Syn would hold up just fine for my 5,000 mile OCIs and it would also provide a roughly $20 cost savings, more than paying for the M1 oil filter at $12.99.

You can look up the MSDS too and see that MSS is pretty much all a group III oil where as M1 always has some group IV (the amount varies for viscosity and type).

But for 5k OCI's, MSS is easily up to the task. I've run it on 8-9k with past vehicles and it seem to do just fine.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Thanks Donny, good to know about the SynPower.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Thanks Donnyj08, that's good to know. I always liked SynPower.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back