Obsession about retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: bradepb

I think the reason there is so much retirement discussion is all the baby boomers and if you believe the statistics most are totally unprepared.

Agreed and in Canada stats show over 50% are not prepared.

The message here is that when one can put cash aside for retirement they should.
That is un American.!!!

Agreed and in Canada stats show over 50% are not prepared.

The message here is that when one can put cash aside for retirement they should.

We are 50ish and my wife is completely obsessed with retirement. She works part time but makes good coin per hour as a CPA, socks away all her income directly into retirement until she's maxed out and I also contribute the max to my 401k. I have always made decent money (except for 6 months looking for a position back in '09) and also had an extended period where I was cashing in stock options on a regular basis for a nice income boost. We own our house and a vacation condo outright and haven't made car payments for at least a decade, buy our vehicles new and drive them for a long time. We also have about 4 years worth of tuition + room/board at a typical expensive East Coast private university saved up for our daughter and still add to this regularly (doesn't make sense to me given that there can be penalties taking money out of 529 accounts for non-educational use).
In short, we don't owe a dime to anybody and have substantial savings.
But, she will still accuse me of threatening her with the prospect of eating dog food in "her retirement" (never ours) when I want a new car that I actually like, new skis or boots, something nice for our daughter, whatever. We should be picking up some kind of car for our newly licensed daughter soon, and I can't even imagine how much she's going to drag her heels and accuse me of dooming her to penury in that process.
In short, she is 100% focused on a future that she will probably also not enjoy and missing life going by her while she still has health and mobility. Plus, she is really making her meal ticket (me) miserable at times, which is probably the biggest threat to her future financial comfort.
I wonder if she can even control this obsession, but I'm getting to the point of "enough". I wanna put some living in before it's not an option anymore.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
people in france get more vacations and many retire earlier. best of both worlds it seems. we work too much in the usa

This is one of the reasons EU countries are having a harder time recovering from the 2008/09 market correction.
Greece is a prime example.

Greece's huge problem is that so much of their economy is under the table and doesn't get taxed.
Tsipras decided that Germany was the problem instead of that and he is now unlucky enough to be re-elected into a much worse situation than he inherited.

Maybe go to a retirement planner with her and let them give you the probable worst case scenario with your situation and how much you need to save monthly to cover it. Then you have a solid number for you to meet, and everything after that is play money.
My wife is similar in terms of saving/spending, but its better than the opposite type of woman who's hobby is "shopping" and wasting money on khrap clothes, shoes, latte's or whatever...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Maybe go to a retirement planner with her and let them give you the probable worst case scenario with your situation and how much you need to save monthly to cover it. Then you have a solid number for you to meet, and everything after that is play money.
My wife is similar in terms of saving/spending, but its better than the opposite type of woman who's hobby is "shopping" and wasting money on khrap clothes, shoes, latte's or whatever...

The ironic thing is that she does most of her work in retirement planning! She refuses to share any of our info with any of the people she works with/for, has left positions because they asked for her portfolio to make sure there were no conflicts of interest in her recommendations.
I sure wouldn't want a spendthrift wife, either, that might be worse. I will say that my wife does like to vacation in exotic places and will shell out for that, but then tries to penny pinch once we are there. Penny wise and pound foolish in that regard...

The thing that bothers me the most is the constant message to our daughter that money is more important than she is. I see it as important to try to instill a sense of thrift, but the wife takes it to the point of implying our child has no worth. "Oh, I wonder how much income I gave up by having a child...just think of how much we'd have saved up without her."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

The ironic thing is that she does most of her work in retirement planning! She refuses to share any of our info with any of the people she works with/for, has left positions because they asked for her portfolio to make sure there were no conflicts of interest in her recommendations.
I sure wouldn't want a spendthrift wife, either, that might be worse. I will say that my wife does like to vacation in exotic places and will shell out for that, but then tries to penny pinch once we are there. Penny wise and pound foolish in that regard...

The thing that bothers me the most is the constant message to our daughter that money is more important than she is. I see it as important to try to instill a sense of thrift, but the wife takes it to the point of implying our child has no worth. "Oh, I wonder how much income I gave up by having a child...just think of how much we'd have saved up without her."

Seriously? For real????

DIVORCE.

People that save and scrimp are less likely to splurge when it comes to buying big ticket items. They worry about running out of money.

Luckily my 82 year old dad is like that after living through WW2.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Not to be a downer, but if one of the retired snowbirds brings the flu downthere, and you catch it, what do you do? or your employer?
also this does not give you much room for error, but there is such a thing as being tired...

Just recovered from a very nasty flu. I missed 2 days of work. Saturday and Monday. Went in on Sunday. That was exceptionally hard with a 103 fever.

The rest of the time, I simply suffered at work and performed poorly.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Darn happy I retired early at age 53, am now almost 55.

Have much more time to serve my community, help friends out and also not have to deal with
rush hour traffic. Absolutely hate it.

Most people don't know how much rush hour driving stresses you out until you
don't have to drive in it anymore!!

+1.
Retired after 31 years May 1 of this year.
Do not miss getting up at 4AM and commuting 130 miles for at least a 12 hour day.
Didn't realize how stressed I really was. I have lost 30 pounds since retirement without even dieting.
Kept busy nearly every day and enjoy getting up at 8AM.
Looking at second careers. It has been more of a process rather than an event.
Have met a lot of interesting people along the way. It is liberating to know that if I work again, it will be because I want to, not because I have to.
Having a nice pension check appear in your bank account the first of each month is a great thing. Many sacrifices were made personally to earn this check, as well as lay the financial infrastructure to allow for an early retirement.
For me, it wan not an obsession. It was a goal.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Not to be a downer, but if one of the retired snowbirds brings the flu downthere, and you catch it, what do you do? or your employer?
also this does not give you much room for error, but there is such a thing as being tired...

Just recovered from a very nasty flu. I missed 2 days of work. Saturday and Monday. Went in on Sunday. That was exceptionally hard with a 103 fever.

The rest of the time, I simply suffered at work and performed poorly.

Not to sound bad.... but if you are very sick you need to stay home.

What happens if you got pneumonia and ended up hospitalized cause you dragged yourself out of bed to work when you are sick like a dog ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back