grease fitting caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got into this world of greaseable fittings with my recent front suspension install.

I havent had a purpose prior to get a grease gun. Just did tie rod ends and ball joints on the Lancer. Both with moog parts with zerks. Before i just opted for a whole new control arm or factory parts that aren't serviceable.

I went cheapy route with a walmart Lubrimatic grease gun and Red n Tacky, wanted valvoline stuff but it was out.

So now i need fitting caps. $5 for 50 and $6 shipping is a little much for me. Very doubtful i'll use 50, even if i break them every time. Do i really need these caps?

Off topic but, when you grease them up, your suppose to stop when it comes out somewhere else right? Kinda like how your normally fill a diff. I ask because the boot is still squished.

thanks all

Not a bad idea but not really needed, they are a fix for a problem the doesn't exist. Just be sure to wipe the zerk off before connecting the gun.

In my younger OCD days I would pump the grease in until I got clean grease out the other end, kind of like they do with helicopters.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Not a bad idea but not really needed, they are a fix for a problem the doesn't exist. Just be sure to wipe the zerk off before connecting the gun.

I guess this is a BITOG type of problem only. Kinda like comparing the IRON counts in out UOA.

Some links have a boot design that purges the old grease out. Other designs, especially ball joints, don't seem to have a purge hole. Manufacturers typically specify adding just a bit of grease until the boot begins to swell. Does the boot just get bigger and bigger over the term of service? What about guys like me that like to overlube fittings? Is the boot then stressed and in danger of rupture?

Yes, if the boot is not designed to purge old grease yuo can and likely will cause damage by adding too much. On boots that purge I do grease the joints quiet heavily also, but on sealed or partially sealed boots with zirks just add enough to see the boot swell a little.

Only time I use zirk caps in when the part came with one. There is no need for them.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Some links have a boot design that purges the old grease out. Other designs, especially ball joints, don't seem to have a purge hole. Manufacturers typically specify adding just a bit of grease until the boot begins to swell. Does the boot just get bigger and bigger over the term of service? What about guys like me that like to overlube fittings? Is the boot then stressed and in danger of rupture?

I am still learning myself friend, but you have to get a feel for it. Also, the quality of rubber probably means something. Maybe relate it to squeezing a mountain bike tire to see if it is rideable. I too can overmaintain, so if it is deflated(flat) maybe pump more than the standard two a year. Also, I think a pistol grip may allow better to feel the tension than a HD lever bar will.

Go just under firm=spongy. Better too little than burst it open!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Just pump in grease till you see the boot move.no more

Good advice. Doing this will maintain the sealing qualities of the boot.

I never used or needed a cap for any fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back