Oil for a high mileage cummins in a cold climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: leathermaneod
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Is your engine still stock? The stock Cummins doesn't have a problem with sooting the oil, especially on a 3000 mile oil change interval. Even my mildly modified (40HP injectors, big turbo, 40HP tune) engine doesn't soot the oil. And the Cummins doesn't shear oil either. I've done 22k+ mile OCI's on Rotella T6, and the viscosity never drops.

Are you running any kind of a radiator cover? Multiple short trips in cold weather probably means the engine is never getting up to operating temperature. Mine barely gets up to temperature at the end of my 30-mile commute, so I don't get warmth out of the heater for most of the trip. This also means the oil is not getting up to temperature.

I recommend RT6 on 6000 mile intervals to offset the extra cost. I know you can go a lot longer. Delo 400 5w40 and VPBE 5w40 would also be good choices, but whenever I've seen them on the same shelf, the RT6 is lower cost. $21 everyday price at WalMart makes it a good buy.

I'm very familiar with the oil articles in the TDR magazine, but they were written many years ago. High TBN is not as important as it used to be since ULSD has become the standard fuel.

I have 75HP injectors and a Smarty S03 that I run on fuel saver most of the time. I am planning to run a winter front that I am in the process of making from aluminum that will attach to the grill. I have heard that T6 isn't a good buy because its not truly synthetic? anyone else heard this?
T6 is a group III, or hydrocracked, synthetic-unfortunately (other than maybe Red Line or Amsoil) that's where most "synthetics" are headed. Problem with T6 is it shears down quickly-not that that should be a problem in a VP44 Cummins.

What does it mean when people talk about shear stability or an oil shearing down more quickly?

Originally Posted By: used_0il
And after 3,000 miles he can strain it and sell it to Clevy for a buck a quart.
Shoot-he could sell it to me for TWO bucks a quart-my F-450 leaks it fast enough that it would never need changed. Still think if he could get it fully warmed up, even every other weekend, UOA would show he could push it 5K+ easily. 3 gallons of T6 or other 5W40 every 3K is too much money!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Is your engine still stock? The stock Cummins doesn't have a problem with sooting the oil, especially on a 3000 mile oil change interval. Even my mildly modified (40HP injectors, big turbo, 40HP tune) engine doesn't soot the oil. And the Cummins doesn't shear oil either. I've done 22k+ mile OCI's on Rotella T6, and the viscosity never drops.

Are you running any kind of a radiator cover? Multiple short trips in cold weather probably means the engine is never getting up to operating temperature. Mine barely gets up to temperature at the end of my 30-mile commute, so I don't get warmth out of the heater for most of the trip. This also means the oil is not getting up to temperature.

I recommend RT6 on 6000 mile intervals to offset the extra cost. I know you can go a lot longer. Delo 400 5w40 and VPBE 5w40 would also be good choices, but whenever I've seen them on the same shelf, the RT6 is lower cost. $21 everyday price at WalMart makes it a good buy.

I'm very familiar with the oil articles in the TDR magazine, but they were written many years ago. High TBN is not as important as it used to be since ULSD has become the standard fuel.

I have 75HP injectors and a Smarty S03 that I run on fuel saver most of the time. I am planning to run a winter front that I am in the process of making from aluminum that will attach to the grill. I have heard that T6 isn't a good buy because its not truly synthetic? anyone else heard this?
T6 is a group III, or hydrocracked, synthetic-unfortunately (other than maybe Red Line or Amsoil) that's where most "synthetics" are headed. Problem with T6 is it shears down quickly-not that that should be a problem in a VP44 Cummins.

What does it mean when people talk about shear stability or an oil shearing down more quickly?
Shear stability is the oil's ability to stay in grade & provide it's rated protection. HEUI fuel injection, like the 7.3, 6.0, & 6.4 Powerstroke/International engines use, tend to shear a 40 into a 30 pretty quickly (like 5K). External injection pumps, like your VP44, use fuel for a lubricant (& hopefully 2-stroke or another fuel additive), so they don't beat on the oil. For example, my '06 Cummins has a 10,000 mile/1 year standard OCI recommendation, not that I ever put 10K on in a year.

oh ok thanks for clearing that one up! and yes i just started using 2 two stroke oil in my fuel at the ratio of about one ounce per gallon.

well you guys just about have me convinced to run a 5w40 syn at least in the winter if not all year round and possibly even extend my OCI with an analysis from blackstone. does anyone have any recommendations as to which 5w40 syn to go with? VPBE, RT6, Delo 400LE, ect. any factual numbers? and what would you recommend for an OCI considering that my truck is high milage, will be driven short trips (to and from work 7 miles each way multiple times per day), and i think the engine is kind of dirty right now(its pretty dark on the stick and black when i change it) Im not sure why as i know the PO did regular oil changes with high quality oil, conventional not syn but still.

thanks again for all the great info everyone!

Most 5W40 oils will perform in similar ways, but some will be easier on the wallet than others. I mainly run the TDT due to the Autozone $1/quart clearance, but any of them would work fine-pay attention to pour point & CCS numbers, for instance, when cold, the 10W30 T5 and 5W40 T6 aren't very different at all, they have the exact same -42C pour point. T5 is a lot cheaper, esp. at Wal-Mart.

My '02 Ram's manual stated 15W40 down to 10F, 10W30 for temps below that, & 5W30 for subzero temps without using the block heater. The '99 should be similar-in my (Cummins) experience they'll run pretty well on just about any decent HDEO, and on the occasion I used 15W40 in really cold (sub 10F) weather, I would idle up to 1100 RPM & hold it there until I saw the temp gauge move off the peg, & drive gently until operating temperature. Honestly, my '02 Ram/Cummins had more problems in cold weather with non-syn PS fluid than anything else, no power steering nor hydroboost until the fluid warmed up a little.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Hate to ruin the party

What does the owner's manual state?

Mine says the same as bullwinkle. I just don't like the idea of running a 30 weight oil in that truck. It makes a lot more sense to me to run 5w40. I don't have any proof but I'm assuming that the reason 5w40 isn't recommend is because it wasn't as available at the time the truck was built as it is now. I believe I heard the the CR cummins do recommend 5w40.

Hi all,

I have been reading up on oil statistics and trying to decide on the best choice for my 01 cummins with 251,000 miles for the winter here in Watertown, NY(30 miles from the canada border). I have read that the biggest reason for using synthetic is either to extend change intervals, or for extreme temperatures. I have no intention of extending my drain interval, which is currently approx. 3000 miles with Rotella T 15w40 and Fleetguard LF16035. I know a lot of you are about to tell me I'm wasting good oil but I make multiple short trips per day (less than 10 miles), and I want to follow the B maintenance schedule in my owners manual. I am wondering if the temps I will be seen up here count as extreme. Last year it didn't get above 0 much if at all from about the end of December the the end of February, and during that time it got as low as -20 IIRC. I have been thinking about switching to a synthetic blend for the winter. Such as Rotella T5 in 15w40, or going to a full synthetic such as Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme in 15w40. My concerns with synthetic and synthetic blend are that it will cause problems since the truck has 251,000 miles. Also, I am not sure if it will be cold enough here to make it completely necessary to make the switch. I will be plugging the truck in as much as possible, but I don't think I will be able to during the day at work. I recently read a study done by TDR that indicated that Rotella T is on the low end as far as soot control, while Valvoline Premium Blue is on the high end. I will most likely be switching to the VPB over the Rotella T even if I don't switch to synthetic. You can find the study here Turbo Diesel Register Tech: Lube Oil, Religion, Specifications and the TDR.

What are your thoughts?

Hello leathermaneod - First, we agree with your thoughts and plans regarding an oil drain extension. One of the main reasons to use a synthetic motor oil is NOT to extend oil drains arbitrarily. Quite frankly, any oil drain extension should be done scientifically and in conjunction with a Used Oil analysis program.

The Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 you are already using is the top conventional diesel engine oil in North America as proven by actual field proof of performance studies, brand loyalty and sales. With that said (and with the temperatures that you quote in your entry), we wouldn’t hesitate recommending a move to Rotella's synthetic diesel oil, Rotella T6 5W-40. This synthetic oil is based on a free flowing synthetic base oil that allows reliable pumping on start-up under cold climate conditions much like the conditions that you are concerned about. It will also remain thick enough under high temperature operations to protect against wear.

By any measure, even Shell competitors will tell you that the Rotella Brand has a very good reputation in the field. Hence, there should be no concern with it being used in your particular situation. Hope this info helps! - The Shell Rotella Team

Might have missed it being mentioned, but Mobil is making a very stout Delvac syn blend 10w30 I would consider also. Most of the major truck stop lube places are stocking it and more heavy diesel users are opting for it in their 48 state and Canada trucking operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back