2000 Cavalier front brakes grabbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 cavalier front brake are very grabby. When going at speed, the front wheel can lock up at times. Not sure if one side or both. Brakes were done 2 years ago (35,000 KM since they were done) with new pads and rotors (cheap ones) and look to be in good shape today with no scoring on the rotors and good pad left. Brakes have always been firm with little pedal needed, but seem worse now. Any ideas where to start??

Some things which can cause this, the pads could be contaminated with something, binding slides/caliper and (rare) an issue with the master cylinder.Even an issue with one of the hydraulic hoses but those usually will cause the caliper to not release.My money is on contaminated pads.

Last edited:
Does it happen right away, or after using the brakes a while? I had a 1979 Chrysler Newport that had composite pistons in the front brakes. About a year or so after replacing pads, I ran into a problem where the brakes would drag more and more as they heated up..turns out the pistons would work fine until exposed areas of the pistons would be in contact with the seals. Even though they had been cleaned, enough pitting existed that the pads would not push the pistons back far enough to prevent dragging. Eventually they would start smoking. of course, I was on a trip when it happened.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Not sure if one side or both.

Next time you drive it...take your hands off the wheel and apply the brakes to see if it pulls to one side.

It happens right away.

I have pulled the calipers and greased the pins, as they were very dry. I also scuffed the rotors up with sandpaper as they looked very smooth. Pads have lots of material left. Test drive same result.

I notice an intermittent ABS light which I was not told about by my daughter. When the ABS light comes on, all four wheels will lock and squeal tires with moderate pedal pressure. Light pressure and it does not happen. Shut off engine and restart, then no ABS light. In this mode the brakes will go to lock up and then the ABS will kick in and release them. Still gives a nasty clunk and brief squeal when that happens.

I will have to get the ABS code read, and go from there...Starting to think master cylinder or ABS unit defective.

I think I found the issue with some google searching...Seems grabby rear brakes on a cavalier is common. GM issues the wrong spec for the rear shoe size and many aftermarket shoes are not correct. I took rear drums off and beveled down the leading edge and the trailing edge of each shoe. Problem in now gone.

ABS is a separate issue with three codes....C1225, C1226, and C1233. I am now guessing a broken wire or connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back