Is M1 0W40 Still the King of Euro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It also has MB, Porsche A40 and VW-502.00, 505.00 approvals but interestingly not BMW. The lack of BMW certification might (just speculating) have something to do with the fact that Shell now makes the BMW Brand oils, so that don't want to compete with themselves.

The odds of us finding Pennzoil Euro on Canadian shelves are slim, so it's not actually competing with anything.
wink.gif
Where are you finding it? Amazon or a small shop or an actual Pennzoil-Quaker State distributor? $9.47 a quart is still high, except by Walmart or CT standards.

Yes a Shell distributor, but there are plenty of them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Benito
Anyone know why they also have a Euro 5w40?

No, but I just realized (and noticed you deleted your question about one of the oils being the SRT 0w-40) that the top link is for the SRT 0w-40. They must have removed the old Ultra Platinum 0w-40 (non-SRT) TDS, which sucks. I've got it archived at home, but I'm not home right now.

The difference between CCS and MRV on the two oils however is still VERY interesting.

Yeah, I re-read your post and saw you said "Ultra Platinum" and figured you must have meant to compare the SRT version.

Darn those Pennzoil branding folks. They set out on purpose to confuse us.
27.gif

Btw, was there really an "Ultra Platinum" Euro 0w40 or was it "Ultra" Euro 0w40 or "Platinum" Euro 0w40?

Anyone know why they also have a Euro 5w40?

No, but I just realized (and noticed you deleted your question about one of the oils being the SRT 0w-40) that the top link is for the SRT 0w-40. They must have removed the old Ultra Platinum 0w-40 (non-SRT) TDS, which sucks. I've got it archived at home, but I'm not home right now.

The difference between CCS and MRV on the two oils however is still VERY interesting.

Yeah, I re-read your post and saw you said "Ultra Platinum" and figured you must have meant to compare the SRT version.

Darn those Pennzoil branding folks. They set out on purpose to confuse us.
27.gif

Btw, was there really an "Ultra Platinum" Euro 0w40 or was it "Ultra" Euro 0w40 or "Platinum" Euro 0w40?

I think it was both of the first two. First an Ultra Euro 0w-40 and then Ultra Platinum Euro 0w-40. I could be wrong however, LOL! They've played games with the names so many times that it is hard to keep track
smile.gif

Last edited:

Having said that, the new GTL based PP Euro 0W-40 is interesting in that it's lighter on start-up vs M1 at all temp's but especially at extremely cold temp's with it's unmatched MRV of only 13,200cP.

That's quite the interesting development/evolution of the product as the Ultra Platinum version had an MRV of 21,500 (dated October 27th, 2014):
http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=114524653

And had the following specs:

100C: 13.7
40C: 74.9
VI: 189
NOACK: N/A
CCS @ -35C: 5,850cP
MRV @ -40C: 21,500cP

This new one is much lighter:
http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=118612030

100C: 13.0
40C: 72.2
VI: 183
NOACK: N/A
CCS @ -35C: 5,960cP
MRV @ -40C: 13,200cP

In all areas except CCS, which I found odd...
21.gif

Yes the MRV spec' seems low relative to the CCS spec' and you'd think if anything the MRV for their new PP Euro LX 0W-30 would be the lowest but it's not:

KV100 11.9cSt
KV40 58.7cSt
VI 204
CCS 5,800cP
MRV 18,900cP
HTHSV 3.5cP

We could ask Pennzoil for a clarification but I doubt we'd get it. In the meantime it would reasonable to assume an error and figure a MRV around 20,000cP to be more likely which would still of course be very good.

I am sure M1 Euro is great, but it is hard to consider it "king" IMO. For me, it is definitely easier to find, but that is about it.

Regarding the price, Castrol is on rollback (out the door lowest price) at WM and is occasionally on sale for decent prices at parts stores. Oreillys has 5 quarts with a WIX filter for $22 after a $10 gift card rebate. M1 also has their rebate going on too.

Pennzoil Euro is way out of my league price wise. Lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Yes. Unbeatable price and availability.

Unbeatable price not in OZ. $95 AUD for 5 L.

Other oil with relevant vehicle OEM approval are better value.

You're not wrong V.Oil,

M1 for $95, if you can find it.
Castrol Edge 0W40 is easier to find and "only" $90 for 5L.
Valvoline SynPower 0W40 is about $80.
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is $70-

All are MB 229.5, BMW LL01, etc

About a month ago, they had the Shell Helix Ultra on sale for $41.50 for 5L (or about $30 USD).

I like Castrol, but I purchased the GTL Ultra. (No M1 in the store BTW).

Okay, Walmart will have my Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40 ready for pick up next Tuesday, I'm picking up BMW's own version of 0W40 tomorrow. I will post my findings in a new thread.

So I'll have 9 qts. of M1 0W40, 1 qt of PP Euro, and 1 qt of BMW, cocktail mix when I change the oil in my M3? Or if PP Euro and BMW 0W40 are indeed the same oil, then I'll probably just buy 7 qt. of PP Euro 0W40, since my M3 takes 9qts. and I don't like to blend my own Euro mix.

Yes a Shell distributor, but there are plenty of them.

You haven't run into a Shell distributor that isn't allowed to sell Pennzoil-Quaker State products. Unfortunately, there are many in this province, with only two approved Pennzoil-Quaker State distributors, neither of which are in Regina or Saskatoon, believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back