Funnel or no funnel for filling oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck sits so high it's hard to reach over and pour accurately. I need to use a step.

I'm 6'1 too.

Accent and ranger is easy peasy.

Depends on the vehicle, my truck a funnel makes the job a LOT easier.

As far as cleaning the funnel, simply wipe out with paper towel and done.

I use a funnel for everything pertaining to adding fluids. Immediately when im done using the funnel, it gets wiped clean and put on the shell in its saved spot. My Aunt taught me that trick years ago when I would visit her and it stuck with me.

Merk, in the 305 engines, I never used a funnel, and could get a quart or 5 quart jug poured without spilling a drop, which is a minor miracle for me. With the G37's geometry and engine cover, well, it would be an absolute disaster.
wink.gif

If I don't have a funnel handy or am too lazy to get it out of the garage, I'll take the cap off either the quart, or even a 5 quart jug, hold it so the top of the cap is pushed flush (reversed) against the opening of the container and I can then tilt the container up to the edge of the opening before releasing the "lid" I've created with the upside down cap. Works great every time and without any substantial mess....easy just to wipe off the top of the cap If I don't use the entire container.

Last edited:
If you are worried about contamination then clean your funnel properly. If this is not good enough for you then you likely need to do your oil change in a clean room. This will stop dust and dirty (unfiltered) air entering your engine when you open the oil filler..........

I almost always use a funnel. Only some cars with a very easily accessible fill point do I not.

If my funnel(s) have enough dust in them to be of concern, I just douche them out with brake cleaner... Sling it in the air a couple times, it's bone dry...

Unlike Merkava I want a dry funnel, don't want any of the previous oil in funnel being mixed with the new fill...
wink.gif

I use the top cut off a quart oil bottle as a funnel. When I'me done, a quick wipe, put the cap back on and set it cut edge down. The price was right.

I always use Funnels. On for the cars, on for the bike.

I store them upside down to avoid collecting dust and dirt and clean them with a towel and brake cleaner before using.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Unlike Merkava I want a dry funnel, don't want any of the previous oil in funnel being mixed with the new fill...
wink.gif

I only worry when I switch brands; I also have different funnels for every fluid.
wink.gif

I never have to wipe my funnels because I have different ones for different fluids - oil (engine oil, ATF, power steering fluid), coolant and brake fluid, and I store the funnels in clean plastic bags, inside an enclosed cabinet. The bags get changed after a few uses.

For WWF I use a screw on spout and leave the spout on the jug. I slip a cap over the spout to keep dust out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back