I tried 10W60 oil and it didn't do that well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Popsy
The car stayed for a few days without oil, and this morning I put some Castrol Syntec 5W40 ; you won't believe it (and I wouldn't either) but temperature is actually lower with this oil, now the temperature does not reach the threshold to trigger the fan, so I'd say at least 5°C less in water temperature.

Weird, but still good to know
smile.gif

Nice that temperature drops .

Would like to hear from you later whether it still eats 5L/10000

km with Syntec ?

Btw, does it now run noisy against 10W60 , and the smokes ??
wink.gif

the castrol used was 5w40 aswell.

The total can be had for about a quarter of the price of mobil1 or caqstrol edge, and is a full synthetic ester/pao oil (formerly elf exellium full tech)

they all are HTHS>3.5 oils

It's not my car and my friend is not exactly a "car guy" (although with some knowledge, but bad mechanics), I'll see if it does anything to oil consumption vs cheap semi-synth 10W40 oil.

It doesn't run noisier at normal rpm range than with 10W60, but still feels as sluggish (guess the motor itself is sluggish). I took out the pcv valve to give it a good rinse in gasoline, so it probably helped but so far it doesn't smoke grey at startup (warm temp we are experiencing may help), don't know under load.

When you redline it still does make strange noises though.

@Jetronic: Total/Elf is the national brand here, over the years I've put it in many different cars without questioning further, but now I'm more inclined to Shell products, don't really know why. I've heard good thing over Ineo and Ineo ECS oils, but these are "too thin for my fleet"! And their "thicker" products just look ordinary to me (Rubia products are difficult to get).

C2 Ineo ECS 0W30 and 5W30 is what the dealer used to put in my GF's car, made a noisy noisy motor, and in my opinion not a good idea for a 20000Km OCI (never go that long)

PS: completely OT but do you know oil brands like Yacco and Igol? Along with Labo (Fuchs) they are getting more and more popular. Igol Ceramic looks deliciously exotic:

http://www.lgmotorsport.fr/symbol-ceramic-05w40-5l-igol,fr,4,SYMBOLCERAMIC5W405L.cfm
http://www.lgmotorsport.fr/ceramic-f1-10w60-5l-igol,fr,4,IGOL10W60F1CERAMIC5L.cfm
http://www.lgmotorsport.fr/racing-ow40-en-2l-igol,fr,4,PROFIVERACING0W405L.cfm

some strange specs on some oils, some name very similar to Labo local offering too.

Yep, obsolete specs. These oils are used by many garages here, mostly in low saps variants. Now wonder why HDI eat camshafts and Dci bearings (lol it's unfair with legendary French build quality, I'm joking)

I used to be a Conseilleur Technique for a Peugeot dealership. Tell me about it...

Now I work for a Hyundai dealer, they.re not much better though., At least a pug drives okay when it's good. My alfas are bettewr drivers though.

We also sell Mitsubishis and one of our loaner cars is a Colt CZT 150. Mitsubishi is heaps better quality, but suffers in the looks department. The boss doesn't like to sell them as we can't make money on parts with them...

Local Mitsu/Porsche agent used Esso Ultron 5W40 on mine (never seen this oil anywhere except there, but only on the sticker and on the invoice)...guess because of Porsche they are better "oil educated" (I even once overheard a conversation between a mechanic and some oil analysis lab, was amazed). The Colt CZT 150 is a funny car, lacks a 6th speed though^^.

I tried to talk about oil (not directly) with some friends and/or colleagues, often to found out their mechanic/dealership put wrong oil type or bad quality oil in it, for crazy OCI, and when I try to suggest there may be better oil out there, most don't even care and I'm traumatized
laugh.gif
All of that because of BITOG
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back