Phone number portability on prepaid plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I know a lot of folks have pay as you go, prepaid plans. Assuming there is one with the coverage, data level and speed I desire that's cheaper than my current setup (two iPhones on att with unlimited data for $119 or so/mo), I'd consider trying them. This is enabled by the new multi-carrier phone setup that Apple is offering.

But say I switch vendors a few times. How easy is it to transfer your phone # from sim to sim or supplier to supplier, if we have to switch a few times??

Thanks!

Just port your number over to Google Voice and forward that to whatever number you have.

The support on the prepaid plans is usually pretty lousy so they might theoretically offer porting, but you'll pull your hair out trying.

I went from T-Mobile prepaid to Tracfone prepaid a year ago. I just went online and ported my number over to the new phone. Very easy to do.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I know a lot of folks have pay as you go, prepaid plans. Assuming there is one with the coverage, data level and speed I desire that's cheaper than my current setup (two iPhones on att with unlimited data for $119 or so/mo), I'd consider trying them. This is enabled by the new multi-carrier phone setup that Apple is offering.

But say I switch vendors a few times. How easy is it to transfer your phone # from sim to sim or supplier to supplier, if we have to switch a few times??

Thanks!

if you are onl paying that much for unlimited there would be no reason to leave. most plans are 40-50 so you won't be saving much

Originally Posted By: WhyMe

Thanks!

if you are onl paying that much for unlimited there would be no reason to leave. most plans are 40-50 so you won't be saving much

Generally thats been what Ive found, but some people swear by them. I've never gotten the numbers to work for the latest/best phones when you consider the subsidy on the classic plans.

It seems there is a reason why the phone companies have gone to these other plans where you buy a certain amount of data per month - and it has to do with profit, not value to the consumer.

But these prepaid plans that walmart and others sell do seem to have potential given that often I'm in fairly populated areas. But when we go to the mountains and whatnot, I don't want to find out the hard way, especially on data...

But when we go to the mountains and whatnot, I don't want to find out the hard way, especially on data...

I ride the motorcycle in the mountains, every chance I get.

I pay whatever Verizon thinks that their service is worth... and for what they charge, I expect it to work.

A few years back, we had a guy wreck his motorcycle on the side of a mountain in North Carolina, and he knocked a hole in the side of the crankcase.

Out of several people in our group, my phone was the only one that worked.

I have a Microsoft Lumina 635 smart phone w/ quad core and 32 gig sd card added to windows 8.1 running on Boost Mobile pre pay triggered automatically by my credit card. $33 w/ tax unlimited all xcept only 2 gig LTE 4 high speed. Phone was $54 w/ tax, 32 gig SD about $15, and $10 for e bay cases, etc. Just FYI. Not bad overall.

I've never been able to make the numbers work for prepaid, either. Currently doing 4 lines, 10GB each for $120 on T-Mobile with unlimited talk/text.

Regarding the prior poster, I want to like Windows Phone but there's just not enough apps for my preference.

The service is absolute hit or miss for tertiary providers and ski mountains according to relatives who use these type of plans.

Reality is Verizon can be a disaster too if no cell tower at summit. However many lodges place mini cell towers(work off internet) in the lodge to help with this.

I ski basically every mountain between western Maine, mostly NH and some VT based off the free specials for my kids and midweek deals.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Just port your number over to Google Voice and forward that to whatever number you have.

The support on the prepaid plans is usually pretty lousy so they might theoretically offer porting, but you'll pull your hair out trying.

I had to port to Google Voice when I switched from T-Mobile prepaid to ATT prepaid. In the ATT store, the option to port my number was grayed out when the rep set up the account. Up to that point, I had no problem over the past several years porting the same number from ATT postpaid to Net10, then to Virgin Mobile, then to T-Mobile. The most recent move to ATT prepaid a year or two ago presented the only hurdle.

GV charges a small fee ($20, IIRC) to port a number, but it's pretty painless after that.

I am considering a pay by month plan. I believe it is as simple as switch a sim card. I plan on getting a prepaid plan and swapping the sim while keeping my normal carrier till I settle or decide to stay with them.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I've never been able to make the numbers work for prepaid, either. Currently doing 4 lines, 10GB each for $120 on T-Mobile with unlimited talk/text.

I have. When my college aged step-son ran up $300 in texting some girl in Canada, I dropped him from my plan and his mom (oilBabe) bought him a TracPhone and his first month of service.

He's paid for it ever since.

So that pre-paid plan is saving me a bundle of money
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back