Brake Noise Issue w/ Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend's 2007 Accord (I4) had a Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic pads (105-series) installed by her family's preferred tire/repair shop. These front pads were installed on resurfaced OE rotors about 30,000 miles ago.

I noticed that the front brakes would exhibit some very light squeaking during low-speed stops. After disassembly I found the culprit for the noise:

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr
(Caliper piston had worn thru the teflon coating on these shims)

(Single-layer metal shims...at least from what I could tell; pads such as the Akebono Pro-ACT or Raybestos EHT have multi-layered metal shims)

In comparison, this is what the dealer pad kit looked like:

(As you can see, the OE pad uses a single shim for the outboard pad, and two small shims for the inner pad. On the inner pad, there is a small rubberized shim that gets attached to the pad, followed by a small stainless steel shim (thick one) that goes on top of that rubber shim. This way the piston does not wear thru the shim. Molykote is also applied to both sides of each shim, including the pad backing plate.)

In summary, the pictures above demonstrate the potential consequences of not using the factory shims (or shim design) on your braking system.

And yes, installing a new set of Genuine Honda pads (along with Centric High-Carbon rotors, new pad abutment clips and confirming the lateral runout reading) corrected the noise issue.

I noticed that the OE shims on my 10 TL are stainless and do not rust, unlike the Akebono Proacts I will be replacing it with. In the future I will stick with the Oe pad that have given good service.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Lose the shims and apply a thin coat of copper grease

Maybe on some caliper designs. I can see it working on some Euro cars, but definitely not in this application.

Does this application use sliding calipers or fixed calipers? Is the caliper of such a shape that the pads would fall out/cant/rotate without the shims?
Do the shims make up the thickness for some aftermarket arrangement yu have?

Yes, the factory shim system is better for long term quiet brakes. I'll be going back to OEM on my Corolla in, oh, another 50K miles once my ThermoQuiets wear out.

But honestly, it's been 30K miles? Just slap some Sil-Glyde on the back of those aftermarket pads and then run them another 30K. It's an acceptable amount of maintenance and not a big deal. But, nothing wrong with a complete re-do, if you don't mind the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back