Timing Belt Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
AS Tegger asked- if it's making what can be described as a whirring noise, and also the noise you described (generally with the covers off), a sticky noise, it's because the belt has been adjusted too tight.

That's what I was getting at. OP would be much further ahead in checking the tension than posting a video of the noise.

The "belt twist" method of checking tension is not reliable, since it depends on the length of the run. The method I describe is better for OP's Honda engine. OP could always post a video showing the slack as I describe checking it. That would be definitive.

Read this one a little too late, but none the less here is a video of the noise:

https://youtu.be/OpbaB_O4wPg

Video of the tension in a day or two if the noise doesn't lead anywhere. Once again, I really appreciate all of the help from everyone.

How much slack is there in the belt? With the engine at TDC compression for the #1 cylinder, use your ratchet to turn the engine counter-clockwise 3 teeth only, then hold it there. Now, with your finger, push on the run of the belt that goes between the camshaft and the water pump until all the slack is taken up. How far can you move the belt? 3/8" ? Less? More?

If there is no slack, then the belt is too tight and that's what's causing your noise.

Making that video might have been fun, and easier than checking the slack, but it got you nowhere.

The slack between the cam pulley and water pump is just a hair under 3/8", when #1 is at TDC. How much am I looking for here? As I mentioned before I have tried different amounts of tension and purposefully backed off the tensioner and the identical sound remains, it doesn't change pitch or anything.

For the record, I don't find recording cellphone videos fun or enjoyable. The video served to help describe the sound, since my description was lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back