Engine Noise Level after oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 3 of the 4 cars I maintain I cant hear before and after differences when changing viscosities. But with the Volvo's twin cam 20-valve engine, which sounds like a sewing machine anyway, I'm confident it's less noisy at a warm idle with the 0w-40. After the oil change I drove a few blocks, pulled back into the drive, opened hood with engine running and noticed the difference. In any case, perception becomes reality.

I do hear less valvetrain noise immediately after an oil change in my '95 Civic. Usually after about 3000 miles or so, the noise is back to its pre-change level. With my old slant sixes it never seemed to matter, they would tap-tap-tap no matter what... and keep on running... and running... just like my Civic except the rest of the Honda is still in good shape
smile.gif

I almost feel stupid saying it, but I noticed the sound difference after changing the oil in both of my cars, 2006 Jaguar VDP and 2004 Lincoln LS. I didn't expect it with the Jag with its previous fill of Mobil 1 0w40, but I wasn't surprised by the LS, it had a dealer change with 5w20 previously so going up a grade it made sense that it may affect the sound. The oil used in both this time was Castrol Edge 5w30 and both were noticeably quieter. The Jag had close to 8,000 miles on the 0w40 and also sat for 2 months during that time and I probably should have changed the oil sooner for that reason alone.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Basically, humans can hear a 0.4 dBa difference (funny, I had to have my test the other day, and when asked if I'd noticed any changes, I pointed out that the turbines are so much quieter than when I was in my 20s...nurse near fainted, but I tested pretty OK).

9 engines of various mileage, tested on SAE 20s, 30s, 10W30s for a baseline. Switched to a "shear stable" 10W40.

The 6 loudest engines lost between 3-6dBA 15 minutes after the Oil change. 3 of those were even quieter a week later.

Authors conclude that a shear stable 10W40 can offer a noise reduction over 10W30 and SAE 30, and that the cleaning effect may contribute to improved noise over a period of time.

Engines had hydraulic lash adjusters.

Good find Shannow !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back