AGM Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
On sealed AGMs you can watch the voltage for an indicator of life. As the water slowly evaporates the voltage will rise as the acid gets stronger.

I was speaking with Northstar just a month ago....re: BP Batteries.

Re: Exide, I have no experience but I was talking to master distributor who carries Oddysey and Trojan as well....as he said for budget friendly, the Exides AGM's are worth a look

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chefwong
Not necessarily. AGM's are just like wet, just with fiberglass matting...
They are not bulletproof. IMO, they require some more ~care~ than wet cells.
Interesting, but that has not been my experience especially with power sports batteries--quite the opposite in fact. YMMV!

AGMs have the plate wrapped with nano pore fiberglass mat. There is no space at the bottom of the battery for shedded plate material as the plate is fully wrapped.

I hear ya. For a daily driver that doesn't really care about discharge factor, wet cells IMO are the best bang for the buck IMO. $ for $.

Deep Cycle, garage queens, shore-dual battery systems: AGM.
Not all AGM's are the same though, and prices reflect that

The AGM battery in my Mercedes is over 7 years old. Starts fine and there's no issues. Typically AGM batteries last longer than wet cell batteries, 8-10 years is not uncommon and someone else mentioned 12 earlier. In addition to Advance Auto where you can use a $50 off code, Autozone and Pepboys also sell AGM batteries, Pepboys usually has some 25-35% off code and Autozone is usually around 20%.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Wow that's surprising, since Deka batteries are made in the northeast! (East Penn batteries really are made in Eastern Pennsylvania!)

IIRC, there's some connection between Deka (East Penn) and Northstar... like the US-based division of Northstar was started by some ex-Deka folks or something like that. Or maybe I'm remembering nonsense.... At any rate, both have top-notch reputations, right up there with Enersys. Leagues above JCI and Exide these days.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The best AGM for the money is the Sears Diehard Platinum

They are rebadged Odyssey batteries iirc.

Yes they are, but, Sears is discontinuing them as we speak, and have already do so for many of the sizes.
frown.gif

It's a shame as the DIEHARD versions were a good 30% less in retail cost than the same exact Odyssey, and this was before any sales, or discounts, discount codes, etc. offered by Sears.
Not to mention more brick and mortar places (than the EnerSys branded products) to exchange for warranty (IF ever needed).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
like the US-based division of Northstar was started by some ex-Deka folks or something like that.

I've heard that it was actually some (possibly disgruntled?) ex-EnerSys employees/engineers who started up Northstar, but who knows?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Sears will be lucky to still be in business within a year.

^^^Yes, sadly this is also quite possible.
frown.gif

Hopefully, with twice weekly 'maintenance' charges, my Platinum will last a long time before I have to pay that higher fee to EnerSys for a new Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
like the US-based division of Northstar was started by some ex-Deka folks or something like that.

I've heard that it was actually some (possibly disgruntled?) ex-EnerSys employees/engineers who started up Northstar, but who knows?
21.gif

Common in the battery industry. Gould battery was sold off to a few employees to form the private company GNB. Then that was sold to Australian Dunlop. When that was done the group that bought GNB from Gould started up another small battery plant.

Even if Sears is discontinuing the Diehard Platinum, they still have the Advanced Gold, which is still a great battery and made by Deka
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back