Oil prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the "Oils Down" link:

Quote:
Within the U.S. exists approximately 20 percent of the world’s refining capacity. Fuel News explains that “on a perfect day,” these domestic facilities could process more than 18 million barrels of crude oil. But due, in large part, to an anti-fossil fuel attitude, it is virtually impossible to get a new refinery permitted in America. Most refineries today are old—the newest major one was completed in 1977. Most are at least 40 years old and some are more than 100. Despite signs of aging, refining capacity has continued to grow. Instead of producing at 70 percent capacity, as they were as little as a decade ago, most now run at 90 percent. They’ve become Rube Goldberg contraptions that have been modified, added on to, and upgraded. The system is strained.

Where is this anti-fossil fuel attitude coming from?

Certainly not from the motorists who want a sufficient supply of fuel at a decent price, but from the current Government with its anti-fossil fuel EPA which out of control.

Last edited:
Refineries have been updating equipment but NIMBY is why new ones have not been built. They're expensive, they smell, and they leak VOC's all the time (I have a couple of years experience working in them).

Gas is at I think $2.14 today.. was $2.09 last week. I can get it for $2.07.

Glad others noticed that prices "should be lower than they are" a few have said.. That said, I am OK with ~$2 a gallon gasoline. http://oilpro.com/post/17865/oils-down-g...15-08-25&ut seems to take aim at this.

It makes some people so mad that gas is so low. *ahem* Oil Industry *ahem*ahem*

Just happy that what was said about 3 to 6 months ago, what, about Saudi Arabia cutting production to hurt the U.S. and drive the price of crude and gas up, up, up.. didn't happen. They saying it will be like this for years. Yay.

I wonder what they will come up with next.

Did anybody else try to exploit the low oil price by buying ETFs or oil-related stocks at cheap prices?

I started buying ProShares Ultra Bloomberg Crude Oil (UCO) when Texas crude dropped to about $40/barrel last week. I bought at six different price points until it seemed to bottom out on Monday. Now I have 486 shares at an average price of $18.59. It's a 2x-leveraged ETF so when crude goes back up to $80 my position should roughly quadruple. Can't wait to see what happens!

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Did anybody else try to exploit the low oil price by buying ETFs or oil-related stocks at cheap prices?

I bought shares of the Brent Crude ETF (BNO) when Brent dropped to $50. I was up 25% not too long ago, but am now down. No worries. It is an intermediate term investment and it will be back in the black in the coming year.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD

I bought shares of the Brent Crude ETF (BNO) when Brent dropped to $50. I was up 25% not too long ago, but am now down. No worries. It is an intermediate term investment and it will be back in the black in the coming year.

Nice. That will make you some money. I think of it as a hedge against the oil companies.

Now would be the time to buy more, or, make your move if you are considering it. Oil will not stay down forever. Nature of the beast, especially if China picks up again.

I was paying around $3.30 a week ago. Because of Indiana ripoff by BP.
Let them build more refineries everywhere, more than we need, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back