Tire Shopping Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready to bite the bullet on tires for the Odyssey in my signature. Have held out for the Labor Day sale. Mrs. Tdbo is not a happy camper because the van has been "Condemned" to the carport for the last month because the dryrot on the current Michelins are so bad that I won't allow it to be driven. Therefore, I need to do something now.

DTD seems to have a better selection right now than DT. These are options that I have found. Michelins need not apply. Never again:

Cooper CS3 Touring: $94x4 -$135 Rebate = $241.
Cooper CS5 Grand Touring: $105x4 -$135 Rebate = $285.
General Altimax RT43: $114.x4 -$185 Rebate = $271.

In an SUV/Truck tire:

General Grabber HTS $126x4 - $205 Rebate = $299.
Continental Cross Contact LX20 $145x4 -$160. Rebate = $420.

Only thing that I found on the DT website that looked interesting:

Continental Control Contact Tour AS $135.x4 -160 Rebate = $380.

Looking for opinions on these choices. Leaning towards going in the Thanks in advance for the input.

Make sure you check out TireRack as well. Even if you decide not to buy the tires from there, they also test each tire and compare tires against one another. It's a good place to get real life customer reviews as well.

I usually buy from there and ship them to the shop I want to use for like $50. It still ends up being a little cheaper than buying straight from a tire shop and I get a way bigger selection to choose from.

We have been running the Cooper CS4’s on our 02 Odyssey for the last 2+ years. Smooth riding tire and very good in the rain. Not so good in the snow, but we have dedicated snow tires which transform the Odyssey into a beast!

For the small difference in money I would pick the CS5’s over the CS3’s, but then again since the Odyssey is such a heavy car one never reaches the targeted lifespan of any tires.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What a [censored] selection of tires! Just to confirm that you are using OEM size 235/65R16?

Yes, OEM size. Sorry, forgot to add.
If you have any better suggestions, we are all ears.

I actually think you have a pretty good list going.

Not having use ANY of those tires and going purely off what I've read, it would be a toss up between the CS5 Grand Touring and the RT43s.

There's one person in the odyclub forum that didn't like the CS5 GT in snow. That would edge me towards the RT43.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wheels-...rt43-tires.html
I have used the Firestone Precision Touring that Chris Meutsch mentioned and was VERY impressed with it in snow. The RT43 rates very similarly with the Firestone Precision Touring in Tirerack reviews, so I wouldn't doubt that. Too bad TR doesn't sell Cooper tires for comparison.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

The Dunlop Signature II is also worth considering. $313 after rebates from DTD.

Out of the tires you listed, I'd go with the Grabber HTS,

I have Firestone Destination LE2's on my 03 V8 2WD 4Runner. So far, so good after 2 years now. My hope is that they are as good as the Michelin Cross Terrain's that came on the vehicle. The CT's are no longer available.

They were on sale and much cheaper than anything else at the time I purchased them.

I bought Continental Control Contact @ $120 each -70 Rebate from DT last month for our 13 Dodge Grand Caravan. Have about 2000 miles on them so far. Like them a lot..

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Cooper appears to have a rebate on both of the tires you mentioned. I think General has one as well. Which should cover the install.

http://us.coopertire.com/Offers/Fall-Event.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Cooper appears to have a rebate on both of the tires you mentioned. I think General has one as well. Which should cover the install.

http://us.coopertire.com/Offers/Fall-Event.aspx

They do have rebates on both the tires. The MFGR rebate is included in the rebate total that I gave + $60. for using DTD plastic for the purchase.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have Firestone Destination LE2's on my 03 V8 2WD 4Runner. So far, so good after 2 years now. My hope is that they are as good as the Michelin Cross Terrain's that came on the vehicle. The CT's are no longer available.

They were on sale and much cheaper than anything else at the time I purchased them.

I mis-spoke earlier.

I have the Firestone Precision Tourings on my 2005 CR-V. I could not break them loose in moderate snow last winter or at 80MPH on the highway in rain.

The Destination LE2's are on the Pilot and I stand by my original statement, amazing in rain.

I am not a biased Firestone purchaser. Both cars have had Kuhmo's and Yoko's or whatever the 2nd highest-rated/lowest priced Tire Rack tire that is available at the time.

Discount Tire retail stores can order almost any tire. They only show their normally stocked lines on the DT website.

For exsmple, my local DT store carries no Cooper tires, but they ordered the CS5 for me.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Discount Tire retail stores can order almost any tire. They only show their normally stocked lines on the DT website.

For exsmple, my local DT store carries no Cooper tires, but they ordered the CS5 for me.

Same here. July 4th, I used the DTD price and rebates for better tire CS5 Grand Touring to get the price match at DT with a little added for installation, LT balance and rotation.

Just had to make sure I paid for the tires during the DT promo period which was before tires arrived, but it was only a few days. $190 in rebates total including rebate using DT Care One Card, too tough to pass on replacing some well used Yoko Avid touring.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Same here. July 4th, I used the DTD price and rebates for better tire CS5 Grand Touring to get the price match at DT with a little added for installation, LT balance and rotation.

Just had to make sure I paid for the tires during the DT promo period which was before tires arrived, but it was only a few days. $190 in rebates total including rebate using DT Care One Card, too tough to pass on replacing some well used Yoko Avid touring.

I'd done the same thing.

Three years ago I ordered 2 sets for my S2000 and E430, I got price match with local AT, and paid for both sets during rebate period.

Low price plus excellent local services.

Highly recommend the Cooper CS5. Have a set installed on my 2006 Camry. very quiet and good grip. I will install a set on my 2013 Sienna later in September.

Based upon what I've seen here and elsewhere, this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back